icon

Audiocontrol 2 channel input?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
munchichee 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Ok almost every Audiocontrol product only has 2 channel input as do many x-overs. I got the 24XS which has 2 ch. input but my head unit has front, rear, and sub outputs - like most newer models do. The Pioneer head unit has specific x-over settings for all 3 outputs - not to mention parametric EQ - and I don't want to eliminate those features. Even without that, how would you set this up without losing your balance/fade control from the head unit? What can I add w/out swapping the 24xs?
24XS Manual
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
The 24XS is a 2-way stereo crossover.  It is most useful for biamping your front main stage or for adding a sub to a system without a dedicated subwoofer output.  Sounds like you don't need it unless you plan to biamp your fronts.
Support the12volt.com
munchichee 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
what about the epicenter? How would you wire that up?..basically the same situation.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

I assume what you mean is could you use an Epicenter with your HU?  You could assuming you also have a good crossover, but you don't need it.

The Epicenter requires a full-range input, so you'd need to drive it from either your front or rear output (not your subwoofer output.)  Then you could use the 24XS after it to crossover the signal with low-pass to your sub amp and the high-pass output to drive either your front or rear amp.  In this case you would not use the sub output from your HU.

The only real reason to use an Epicenter is if you are trying to get more out of cheap or undersized subs than they are designed to produce.  The Epicenter is a digital synthesizer that creates bass information not originally recorded on your CD.  If you have a decent sub system, an Epicenter will most likely only cause problems.

Do you own either of these AC units or are you simply thinking about it?  If you're thinking about it, don't.  Spend the money instead on the best speakers and amps you can afford.

Support the12volt.com
munchichee 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have the 24xs and was trying to figure out how to use it in this setup. 2 JL 10w3v2d4's on a JL 500/1 and MB Quart PWE-160's in front and rear on a JL 300/4 in a VW Beetle. I really have no room for more amps or even bigger amps for that matter. The head unit has plenty EQ so think I might get a 6 channel 3-way x-over if I have to.
DYohn 
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  

First of all, the MBQ PWE-160 is a 6.5" midbass driver.  What are you trying to accomplish with these?  What are you using for mains?  You do not need a crossover for the sub as you can use the HU built-in LP filter, or the one in the amp. 

Support the12volt.com
munchichee 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I get used to calling them PWE b/c that's what's on them, but it's the PCE-216 component sets in front and rear. The rear tweeters are mounted as a coax pair. I used brown bread for sound deadening and just need to make it come alive.
04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately, the 24XS has become less popular over time as head units have internal crossovers and multiple RCA outputs with dedicated subwoofer outputs. It does have some good features such a a relatively steep 24db/octave crossover and a subsonic filter. The 6XS would be the better AC crossover for your setup.
04 MDX - Clarion DRZ9255 / MB Quart QAA4250 / MB Quart QSD216 / Orion Concept 97.2 / JL Audio 10w6v2
91 GMC Syclone - Delco tape deck
90 Syclone powered 2wd S10 (for sale) - Pyle CD / Fosgate 4x6
munchichee 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
thats what i figured.
DYohn 
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  

OK, so it's the component set which comes with its own dedicated passive crossover.  Good speakers.  Unless you plan to biamp the components, you should use the supplied crossovers. 

You have a 4-channel amp that should be run from the friont and rear outputs from the HU and a sub amp that should be run from the subwoofer output on your HU.

Why do you think you need to use an extrernal crossover?  I can see NO reason why you need one.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic