icon

Blaupunkt Amplifiers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i was browsing the Crutchfield catalog, and noticed the uber-sweet looking new Blaupunkt amps that are coming out in May. then i got to thinking, i wonder what all those other ones they used to have are going for now...
well, my question is, how well does the class T technology in their amps work? im not really familiar with this type of circuitry, and was wondering how it will compare with a class A or B amp? if purchased, it would be used for driving midbass and up speakers. i can deal with the ugly color case, thats what an aerosol overhaul is for.
thanks,
Parker
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  

the blue dot's class t amps, i used to call the the plastic amps because their chassis was plastic, although im not sure if they still are, are digitial. compared to a class a/b they are better sounding, although it might not be noticiable it would be characteristic of class t, and also greatly improve on effeciency. i've done alot of boat installs with these amps, and they're great. very small and can be put almost anywhere because they don't generate heat like a normal amp. also very good power for the size.

Sobe_Death 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
thats good, i think ill get two since i cant find a 4 channel amp. they are only ~$70 apiece for a PA2150
Sobe_Death 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
does anyone have any negative comments on these?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
i was under the impression the Blau plastic amps were NLA... you dont mean the PCA2150 do you? if so, this is a class AB amp.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Sobe_Death 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
nope, those are the "pro component" series. the blau plastic amps are available, just not from the auth. retailers.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

ahh of course... silly me.....(banging his head against the wall) authorized dealers... what was i thinking???

let me rephrase that... Blaupunkt hasnt made these amps in 2 years, so what you are buying will be not only unauthorized but old stock or refurbs....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
kgerry has all the facts...it might even be longer than 2 years. Blau does have new amps coming out, and hopefully there are an improvment over the "older" classT
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
The T class stuff uses components (predrivers, controllers, and perhaps output devices) designed by the guys at Tripath, who own the class T copyright, patent, etc. Basically it's a high zoot variant of class D, that soudns better under certain circumstances. I liek ti for bass, but can't stand them on treble. Because the switching frequency is constantly varied over a wide band, the output filters must have enormous passbands to try an smooth all the hash that becomes the audio signal, which pushes their group delay and phase distortion into the upper end of the audio band, which makes my ears unhappy. The problems with the original Class T stuff from Blau that I heard was mostly power supply interaction with the amplification side of the amp. Putting two switchmode systems in one box and running them off of noisy power is a very tricky thing to get right, and there were some foibles. Hopefully they've fixed their filters and power supply for the new ones.
A lot of people swear by them, and I understand why, but depending on yor system you may swear at them. Give them a listen first, preferably for more than 3 minutes. Like Ronnie said, trust but verify.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
Sobe_Death 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
well, i do think that i will try one out, but if i dont like it on the highs, i can always run my MTX amp on the highs that is currently powering my subwoofer.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic