icon

JL Audio Slash or E series amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  

I use the the internal crossover in my head unit and I love it. I also use the sub adjustment all the time in the head unit as I listen to a wide variety of music and I love having the sub adjustment at my finger tip.

BTW: the 500.5 will take up roughly the same amount of space that 2 amps will. So, if you are looking at the route, then I would consider it. That is a vary nice amp but, it carries a hefty price tag as well.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Lthlquicksilver 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

Personally, I would go with two separate amps simply in case one of them goes out in the future.  I'm sure you would much rather replace one amp rather than having to get another full system amp.

As for the crossover settings, I always use the one on the amp.  It tends to sound cleaner and have better overall control than the ones in the deck.  When you are dealing with a deck, you need to remember how much stuff they're cramming into a single product.  They need to skimp here and there to make it fit.  I recommend using the one on the amp, you should be much happier.

Muscle Cars Don't Just Look Good, But They Can Sound Good Too...
1971 Chevelle SS
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I would have to disagree with the crossover. The crossover in this Apline is very clear. My local shop also recomended using it as they use the crossovers in the higher end Alpines all the time.
Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
I doubt you could really tell the difference in sound between the deck's crossover or the amp's crossover. If you use the deck's crossover you can adjust it up front if you ever need to though.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
I'm what you would call a "JL-Fanboy" ... I can assure you, either series of amplifiers is outstanding. For the speakers you're looking at running, go 'slash' all the way.
To be honest, if I had my way, I'd trade those amps u see in my sig for the 300/4 and the 500/1. You needn't that much power for a single 10" tho, grab the 250/1 and the 300/4.
Heads up tho, try to listen to a 'slash' amp before you lay out the $400.. they are so clean they're 'sterile' ... some people don't like 'em.. say they don't sound 'musical' ...
If you can grab the 500/5, that is easily your best choice for the equipment you're running. Be a wee bit cheaper than a 300/4 and a 250/1 at that.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
I would use the x-overs on the amps because they are continuously variable. They will give you a bit more ability to fine tune. The JL remote bass control is actually a 60hz boost not a gain control.
704acc 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! 

Now for the next two questions:

1.  Is there anything better than the JL Audio line I should consider?

2.  Where can I get the best deal on amps - JL Audio or otherwise?

Ray Kane
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic