icon

Port size and length

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AudioZBahn 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  

I have a fifteen and the recommended port length is 11in. but I can only use about a 7in port length, with 4in of space from the bottom of the box. I was wondering how this will effect the sound and if there is something I can do so it doesn't effect the sound.

Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  
if you can't get the port long enough, then make a vent and do an L shape (if your building the box yourself, it'd be hard to put a vent port on a box that's already built...)
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
AudioZBahn 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  

Everything is already built. I'm putting it in a friends car. Sou you wouldn't suggest me to use it unless I can use the proper size port?

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 6:35 AM / IP Logged  
if you cant use the proper size it is going to change the tuning frequency,   if it is meant to be 7x15 and you only do 4x7 say therotically the port was tuned to 36hz origanally it could raise the tuning frequency to 45-50hz.     you would lose alot of low bas and also risk damaging the subs if you dont use a sub sonic filter
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Captanham 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
yea the proper port it really essential, if you can't fit it in there curve it, use pvc for the port and just get an elbow peice
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
AudioZBahn 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

The port is supposed to be (2) 4x11 and the ports are (2) 4x7. so if I would put an elbow on the bottom of the port that is a total of about 4in. than that would help. It doesn't seem like it would be that of a dramatic difference.

Captanham 
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
it may not seem like a few inches makes that big of a difference but it really does, but if you think about it 4 inches out of 11 is like 39% so that's a big difference in the size of the port, half an inch might not matter much but almost 40 % difference will for sure
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
AudioZBahn 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

It is the ports that are supposed to reduce the noise. I can't think of what they are called but he put them in without even measuring or looking at the suggested length. So if I just pop off the bottom and bend a peice of pvc to a right angle that is around 4in longer than would that be fine I'll try to draw a little pic to show you what I mean. Thanks for all the help you;ll can provide

Captanham 
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
i'm not sure what your talking about, most people that i've seen just use like a 2 or 4 or whatever inch pvc peice to do the port, and then an elbow would pop right on that with NO problem,, take or draw a pic cause i'm not sure what you mean
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
AudioZBahn 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=4qomrl  There is a pretty crappy drawing. There is one port in front of the other. If I just put that bend on both of the ports it should make it back to spec right. Please correct me if I'm miss understanding your advice. 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic