icon

sub recommendation for suburban

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Bertrand 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

I am looking to get a new audio system for my 96 GMC suburban. I need some ideas on some good subwoofers (preferably 15's)to get for a reasonable price. I have been looking at the Rockford Fosgate punch series which looked pretty good, but i was wondering if there was any better 15's out there for around the same price. I also do not know what features to look for in an amp, so a little information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Bertrand

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
How about a little more information from you, like what do you want out of this system? a loud, booming system that is not so clean or a little of both? and the really important one what is your budget?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

crossfire D class, Earthquake D class, Planet Audio D class, these companies all make BIG monoblock amps that will ROCK hard for reasonable dollars. They can also help in your needs for a good sub....

www.planetaudiousa.com

www.earthquakesound.com

http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com/

Bertrand 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

For my subs i want a, clean, but loud sound (if thats possible), but nothing that is so loud that it rattles and sounds terrible. I am willing to sacrifice loudness for clarity. My budget for the subs is around $500 and $500 for the amp.

racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

Well, if you want clarity then srap the 15's and at least go with a good set of 12's. The best sounding 12's that I have heard to date are the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D's. They are a very effeicient sub, sound great and take a smaller enclosure than most. 1cf3 I think.

As for the Amp, look at MTX's Thunder line. Great power at affordable prices.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
I too would go with 12's over 15's. Is space a concern? If so use the tried, tested and true Eclipse aluminum series. Good bass response is about the correct match of subs - BOX - amp - wiring - INSTALL.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Bertrand 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
What do you guys think about Rockford Fosgate's punch series? They seem pretty cheap and i know a few people who use them. oh and space is not an issue for me.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Fosgate makes a reasonable product, however I think there are better products available. keep in mind that at this price level there is really nothing more amazing than the next thing. Your BOX (mentioned above) is very crucial at this level and at any other level for that matter.   
forbidden's suggestion of the Eclipse subs is quite considerable, however availability might be an issue for you. (just a thought, no implications)
Where are you going to get your gear? if it is local why don't you give us list of what products you have available to you or that you are considering...
Bertrand 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
well for subs i was considering Fosgate, or JL audio. Im not sure about component speakers, but i have heard pioneer 6x9's and they sounded pretty good. As for amps and headunits i have no idea. some ideas would really help.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse aluminum > RF punch series. For speakers you should just go around to different shops and listen to sets of speakers. Bring along a CD that you like also.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic