icon

Painting Dash Pieces?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
d_arnold 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
you might be able to find the 2000 grit from an autozone or advance auto but if you can't it's okay you will just be buffing for a little longer, spray bottle clear is softer then professional autobody clear anyway so you should be okay. and definitely wet sand the clear by hand on curves and with a block on anything that is flat. Try to stay away from sanding hard angles, the clear will be thinner in those places.
Sounds like it's coming along good. Take some pictures for us. I'm surprised noone else has comments on the thread. I thought more people painted. I'm glad I could help. I asked a million questions when I was learning to paint, and I'm still learning all the time. A friend of mine works for and autobody shop I bugged him a lot; and I'm on a first name baseis with the owner of our local autobody supply shop. He says there's trouble about everytime I come in cause he know the first think I say is. "So I saw this on a car the other day, how do I do that?", or "well I tried this and it didn't work what did I do wrong". Keep asking questions it's the only way to learn. And if the wife says you can't have an air compressor tell he it will prolly be in your like longer then her!!! LOL jk
AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Haha Thats great! Im 17 Im not married yet, but im really into car audio and like putting all my money i get from work into my car. Here are the pics of the pieces, I will have more when everything is on the dash. I also carpeted some of the big dash pieces in black swirl.
https://img37.echo.cx/my.php?image=p10711934yy.jpg
https://img37.echo.cx/my.php?image=p10711926vp.jpg
https://img37.echo.cx/my.php?image=p10711958ep.jpg
https://img37.echo.cx/my.php?image=p10712024vu.jpg
On the last pic you can see the main piece that sits in the middle of the dash that fits around my cd player. Today after I used a tack cloth on the 3rd coat I sprayed the 3rd coat and right after i was done a piece of sand flew up on to it, boy was i pissed, and so i tried using my finger to get it out and as you can see its all ruined at the bottom right. What should i do?? I did so much work on all these pieces i would hate to start over.
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
Looks good except for that last piece :'( sorry to hear that. Just from experience you are probably going to have to redo that peice, sucks yes I know but if you try to sand down just that one part you are going to have waves in it and you will never be able to color match because the surrounding area will be hit with overspray and become darker than the rest. I am on my third try with fiberglassing my infinity components into my door panels and each time I always f**k up when it comes to smoothing the rest of the door out. I just now finally got the hint to sand it down and use filler primer to cover some of the bumps and such. The first time I did what you did and tried to use resin and that failed because it cracked when the door panel flexed. the second time I tried to use bondo to make it smooth and used my electric hand sander to get that smooth and ended up with waves so now I am stuck at step one.
91silvy 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

Hey dave,

I am also new to painting.  I want to repaint the interior of my 91 silverado, but I would like to keep the factory texture if at all possible.  Do you know how I could go about achieving this?  I know there are texture sprays, but that's not quite the look I am going for. 

Thanks in advance

Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
Krylon has some sort of paint that currently adheres directly to plastic without any prep. For a color change I believe that would do the trick for you 91. Could be mistaken, but I saw it on DIY and I can't evne recall the product line. (It was 2 AM, leave me be) I'll post later if I recall. Sry.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, that product line is called Krylon Fusion for plastic. You can go to Advance auto or autozone and find it in different colors (not sure about exotic colors though, I think they just have placid colors: black, silver, green, red...etc) Don't really know how well it works but they say it does and the good thing is that you shouldn't have to put that much clear coat on it because it is already shiny and you probably won't be too rough on your dash.
d_arnold 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
Hey man, Looks good.
For future reference don't touch it wet. Even if you get dirt in it. Let it dry get it out by wet sanding and buffing. It shouldn't be too hard to fix it. you will need to sand out the area until it smooth again. as long as you using a flat base coat, once it's smooth you should be able to spray that area using a blending method out to the rest that of the piece. 3 coats of base and clear coat the whole piece over again.   That will do it.
91silvy
I've always found matching the factory finish to be a little tricky. You can match honda factory interior just by following all the step we went over for AJRXtreme only don't buff out the clear coat.   The orange peel from the clear coat gives it more of a factory finish. I think the chev interier has more texture then a honda. I would go in search for a textured spray paint that gives you close to the desired finish. Each if it's not the right color. Use it and then use the matching factory color in flat on top of the textured paint. Then just use an acylic spray on clear coat.
mI_what
to mold to door panels you really should be using a fexible filler. Evercoat make some. They add a flex adjent so the vibrataion from opening and closing the doors does't crack it, and make sure you plastic is like 80 grit rough when you apply filler to it. Also primer isn't for filling bumps. Use a glazing compound for filling pin holes and things. As for the waves sand them out using your hand like a sanding block on the curves.
91silvy 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys,

I will have to try the Krylon Fusion once school is out in a few weeks.

mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
'ppreciate that d_arnold. Glad I found this website, cause I'm still learning.
d_arnold 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Glad I could help, I love the site too. People on the forum have helped me do a countless number of projects. Painting Dash Pieces? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic