Tools to makes holes in the dash

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2002 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I would like to install some switches in the dash and other places, and I was curious

to know what types of tools people use (the jigsaw is way too big).   Isn't there something
that looks like a power screwdriver that has different tips, and you can make precise
(maybe square) cuts for instances like this?

Just curious what people use.

Thanks!

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 15, 2002 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

Hey cpgoose,

In Canada we call them drills !Tools to makes holes in the dash -- posted image.

Jus' kiddin'. 

One handy tool is a UNIBIT which is a stepped drillbit which looks like a Christmas tree.  The deeper you drill,  the larger the hole gets.  It's good for round holes from 1/8 th of an inch to nearly an inch.

I also use punches which work in the same principle as a paper punch.  You drill one small hole then assemble the punch a piece on either side.

To make square holes, a RotoZip type tool is great.  It uses saws that look like drill bits but have a sharper edge to them and a reverse twist.

These are some of my favorite things. Tools to makes holes in the dash -- posted image.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2002 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

I think he was talking about a dremel perhaps? 

Tools to makes holes in the dash -- posted image.

cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  

Drills, very funny Tools to makes holes in the dash -- posted image.

yea, something like the RotoZip or the Dremel....I think they're the same idea.  I guess you can make the square holes with both of those.  Who makes both of those?  I actually used my jigsaw to make a quick hole....what a mess.  Now I have to get one of these tools to maybe fix what I did!

Big Dog 
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  

Hey cpgoose,

Seeing that you live in USA, go to SEARS for most of your tools.  Lifetime guarantee and on-the-spot exchange can't be beat!

Here's the link (looks more like a chain than a link) Tools to makes holes in the dash -- posted image.  http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/products...

carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  

get a nibbler.

they sell them in radio shack and there about 10 bucks or so. it ca cut thin metal,and plastic. its

you first drll a small hole then take th nibbler ad cut out thesquar or whatever shape you need

Big Dog 
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

Hey cpgoose,

Nibbler for sure ! (not to be confused with nibble her ) Tools to makes holes in the dash -- posted image.

cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

hey, that's pretty cool.  never heard of the nibbler, i'm on radioshack's site checkin' it out :)  The drewel looks cool, but sortof expensive for something i can only find a few uses for (well, at the moment at least).  is the nibbler only for holes, or can you add attachments and maybe sand small items?

thanks for the new idea!

cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

ahhh. just found the nibbler (I think).  I didn't realize it wasn't electric or anything.....it's kind of like a pair of scissors?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F005%5F002%5F000&product%5fid=64%2D823

EDIT:  I found it in other places, too....but RadioShack's seems to be the cheapest.

http://www.allspec.com/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=showitem&w3site=ALLSPEC&w3path=vend&w3product=76011B

cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
hey, couldn't you just buy a set of bits (for a dremel or similar tool), and then use them in a drill?  does anyone who owns these know if they would fit in a drill?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic