icon

sub wiring, 2 10 apline type s 2 ohm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gicts 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
I recently ran my wires for my amp, bought a new HU and subs and today got a box (amp coming soon). Lol now I am scratching my head as to how I wire my subs in the box. I have a diagram that came with the 2 10" Apline type s 2 ohm. Is there something you stick into the subs other than just the wire? And do you run the wires inside the box like the directions show, or is that done on the outside with the terminals?
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  

what else would you "stick" into the sub? you should only need wires, are these alpines dual 2 ohm, dual 4, or single 2? what kind of amp do you have, and what is it's load suposed to be at givin power ratings?

most people run all the wires for each speaker in the box, and then connect the speakers to each other outside the box (usually at the amp) this gives you more versatility if you need to switch stuff around later.

some people (and this is more common if you're running subs in series) will wire everything up, and then connect it all to one terminal and just run that strait to the amp. but this is not as common, either way is fine really, just keep your wiring as short and neat as possible, so there is less chance of error, and less wire wasting power..

give me ur specs on the amp and what voice coils the subs have and i'll tell you how to wire it

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

Verify:  is this your subs?  SWS1022D

I hope  you have a mono amp on order...the subs will wire to a final 2 ohm impedance.  If that's the case here's your wiring diagram:

sub wiring, 2 10 apline type s 2 ohm -- posted image.

The wire that jumps from one coil to the other on the sub is a single strand of speaker wire.  Your subs can be wired inside the enclosure like above and then you will have a pos and neg to connect to the amp.

If the amp on order is a two-channel, post back.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

yea he's got it, i didn't look at alpines site, i guess they don't make a single coil 2 ohm'er so that would have to be your setup.. i would assume, you will either have to do that for a mono

or if it's a two channel, you would have to run the single wire like that on both subs, and then run the other - and + off each sub to their own channel

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
gicts 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, I started this post, then went and took a longer look at the subs. Lol I didn't realize you had to push down to get the wires in. It turned out looking just like the diagram stevdart posted. Except the wire connecting the pos and neg on the same subs I used something that came with the subs that you 'stick' in the top lol. That's how I got confused in the first place I guess. As for the amp, I have not yet got one I'm still shopping around. I have been looking at rockford 700S and P5002's. I believe they are 2 channel, should I look for a mono instead?
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

Yes.  This Rockford Punch mono amp will provide the proper amount of power for those subs.  Or any mono amp with a 500 to 600 watt output into 2 ohms.

Did you buy a sealed enclosure?  What size is it?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
gicts 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
it's a sealed box. 3/4" thick, but only .65 cubic ft per chamber. It should do the job I guess, I payed $25 for it, I might make my own later down the road. The ideal volume per chamber I think is 1, but the subs say they'll take .65 -1.5
gicts 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
also, thanks for the amp recommendation that looks a lot better as well as the quick responses and help
stevdart 
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

Glad to help.  When you build a new enclosure make it the one cubic foot for each sub plus the sub displacement of 0.07 cu. ft. ... or close to twice the size of what you have now.  You'll notice a much improved low end bass response (more SQ) and more efficiency (SPL) with the additional air volume.  But it won't hurt the subs using the box you now have.

I'm not in the habit of recommending specific brands so the mono amp I showed you should be considered for its type and power rating alone, not brand name.  There are plenty of good mono amps that spec out similar to that one and would suit your needs.

gicts 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
would a MTX Thunder 801D work just as well?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic