icon

changing my install, recs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jumpn 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2005 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
I had planned on using the Bazooka 8's in my signature for the cargo area in my Vue.  My initial plan was too complicated for me, (seperate boxes in a false floor, odd sized area, etc) so I decided to sacrifice some cargo area and  try a regular sealed box.  When I did my measuring, I could fit an enclosure that would be 8" deep, 12"high and 36" wide, using 3/4 MDF, and would have 2 sealed chambers within that frame.  I decided I had just as well use 10's instead since I have the room.  It calculates out to .629ft^ per chamber.  What subs would you recommend?  I have the JL 300/4 to bridge 2 channels for the subs, and it is NOT 2ohm stable when bridged, so what subs in the $75-100 price range would you guys recommend?
2004 Saturn vue, Alpine 9811, jl 300/4, bazooka 8" subs X 2, bazooka 6.5 comps.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Cerwin Vega HED 10's, DVC 4ohm.   and can be gotten for a low price through internet sources.  If you're using only two channels of that amp for two subs then you want as much efficiency as you can get with sub specs.  The smallish enclosure isn't helping any in that regard.  88db is about as good as a 10 will get as far as efficiency rating goes.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry stevdart, but the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1's are rated at 94db. And can be found on E-Bay for $105. I would highly recomend these subs. They recomend and enclosure of .6ft^3 so, you would have plenty of space for them.

As for the JL 300.4, I would use that amp to powe the rest of the system and I think that you should purchase a midrange mono amp to power the subs.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry racer, you might find a lot of things on fleabay but that's not where I'd go.  See the Infinity MANUAL here....they rate this sub at 94 db in car at 40 Hz.  As much as I'm impressed by the quality of that sub, those screwball methods of ratings don't impress.  And it's a $300 woofer.

( I don't know why you felt the need to address me in answering this member's question, but that's why I'm addressing you back.  No harm no foul. )

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

Well, either way, I have been very impressed by these subs on many occassions. Just the fact that they sound so good and hit so hard in a small enclosure impresses me.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
jumpn 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
Yea, I kinda thought about getting a mono amp.  That 300/4 bummed me out when I realized I couldn't use it as much as I thought I could.  BTW, I looked at a previous subbox I had in my F150 and it has a 10W3 D4 in it.  It's probably 3-4 years old.  If I remember correctly I would have to run it wired for 8 ohms if I decided to use it.  How do you think a new 10w1v2 would be in comparison?   Any mono amp recs?  How would I wire my 300/4 to my components if I wanted to use 2 channels for the tweets and the other 2 for the mids?  I could use the crossover built into the amp right, and just straight wire to the respective speakers, not using the crossover that came with them?  Sorry for all the questions, it's late and I'm getting myself confusedchanging my install, recs? -- posted image.
jumpn 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
Saw an MTX audio Thunder 421D on line for around $135-160.  Sounds like a good little sub amp.  210 watts at 4ohms, 420 watts at 2ohms.  Whatcha think?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
I like those MTX amps (what a surprise, have I ever not been impressed with MTX). They are a good amp for the money but REQUIRE a 4 gauge wire and are definatly happier runny off a deck with high volt preouts as opposed to the standard 2 volt ones.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  

Well, first off, they don't make the w1 anymore. So you would be looking at a W3v2 and that is a nice sub BTW. I think that thw 421D Would power it nicely.

I am also a fan of MTX as they build a solid product and don't try to fool you with some bogus ratings. As a matter of fact 99% of the time, they underate their amps.

But, also, the 421D is rated at 420w @14.4V so, at the typical 13.8 volts that the amp will or should see, you will get around 370 watts.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
jumpn 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

Oops, I meant the new silver W 3's.  Also saw an Alpine MRD 301 sub amp, lots of features. Yea, my budget seems to be climbingchanging my install, recs? -- posted image..   I'm going to check these things out tomorrow at a couple of shops. Thanks for the replys. Jumpn.

PS, am I correct with the wiring for the 300/4 to my mids and tweeters in the above question?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic