icon

Is the Hifonics Brutus 1500 any good?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Odog 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
I have read many good and a couple bad reviews about this amp and I am wondering what the real scoop is?  Decent for the money?  Or just total crap?
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

They are not the botom of the pit but, they certianly won't stand up the likes of JL, MTX, Kicker and so on.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
They dont have the same SQ as a JL, cadence, etc. But they put out what they claim (although that is usually only at 1 ohm, and they put out much less at 2). The build quality may not quite be up to the par of amps like JL, JBL, MTX, memphis, US Amps etc. But they are the best bang for the buck around. Alot of people around my area use them and have had no problems.
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
What do you mean when you say Cadence and JL have better SQ than the Hifonics amp?
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

As an owner of a Brutus 1500D , I can say I am generally pleased with its performance, what pimpincavy said about the SQ is true, its not the cleanest sounding amp it does have a little noise but it makes up for that in power at 1ohm, but for and amp that one can regually pick up on ebay from under $200.00 it is a good buy.

Are there any same quality or better amps in the same price range, that depends on how much of a fan you are of Profile and Lanzar just to name a few. Hifonics is not the powerhouse has it was 8+ years ago, but IMO no Car Audio Manafacture except US AMPS is
But for the price I have to say overall its a good intermediate level amp
The final call is up to you, if you have a spare 200 laying around pick one up, if you dont like sell it on ebay

Later

---Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
Odog 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks everyone for your info.  The amp is not for me, but a friend and I will pass the word on.
audiobass10 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

Actually, I don't believe you'd be able to tell the difference in amps through sound, if that's what you're suggesting. I hear so many people saying "OH MAN THAT AMP SOUNDS SOO MUCH BETTER!!", just to justify the money they spend on their new high end equipment. GIven that both amps have properly set gains there is no way you'd tell the difference in sound. I'm in no way trying to say that Hifonics amps are up to par with Cadence/JL..Just trying to prove a point, which I find to be misleading.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
I absolutely disagree with you audiobass, I have first hand experience to back it up.
Going from an alpine mrv f407 to my current nak, huge audible difference! Much warmer sound to say the least.
They don't make amps at different levels for no reason, come on think about it.
Oh and by the way, I consider Hifonics to be swap meet material.
audiobass10 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Disagreeing is absolutely fine! IMO it's nearly impossible to detect an audible difference between amps(within the same range of power of course). I'd like to conduct a test doing this, but right now I don't have any comparible amps to do the test. It would be a blind test. I'd put an amp such as ARC against Hifonics/MA Audio/Audiobahn and have someone blindly try to tell me which amp was which.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
what would these amps be pushing? subs or interior speakers?
((I)) don't really feel that putting up big bucks on subs and sub amps is all that necessary, as I don't think there is a huge audible difference that I can tell, its really about the enclosure and getting something that doesn't crap out, hence my MTX choice.
But I do feel strongly that having about the inerior deal, as I now see this being a little contradictory, but as I said before there is/was a difference, that I could hear.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic