icon

Strobe and 2nd siren install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lucky259 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  

Hey there, i'm the latest newbie here!! I recently had a Prestige 996a alarm/remote start installed. I had a mine piezo siren installed in the cab and i purchased another one from ebay but the place I had the alarm installed wouldn't install it since I didn't purchase it from them. I don't want to mess anything up but since I have the extra siren I want to install it. I'm don't know very much when it comes to electrical stuff, but i'm pretty mechanically inclined so with a little help I think I can get it installed. So what do I need to know about hooking it up??

I also want to install strobes inside the cab and possibly outside and need help with that too (I have a separate thread for that though)

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

lucky259 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

I recently had a Prestige 996a alarm/remote start installed on my truck. I want to hook up strobe lights inside and out for some added security and confusion for a would be thief. I did a search but didn't really understand a whole lot of what was being said. I'm not very good with electronic lingo (relays & stuff) and wiring. I am pretty mechanically inclined so with a little help I think I can figure it out. I was planning on just splicing right into the mini piezo siren that is in the cab but someone on a different forum (the person who directed me to this forum) advised that I shouldn't do that. A wiring diagram would be really helpful!! Thanks in advance!

I also want to install a 2nd mini piezo siren in the cab. I have a separate thread for that though.

Thanks again!!

the Installater 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  
the siren should have two wires coming off it, red and black, red is positive and black is ground. try and find the other siren and splice the wires into it. the wires should be the same color on the other one.
lucky259 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

the Installater, I was told hooking it up that way will put alot of stress on the alarm brain and you have to hook something up in between it..

bobk, sorry about the 2 threads. I wanted to keep them separate because from past experience in other forums if you as more than 1 question in a thread it the topic always veers off and only 1 question you asked gets covered and everyone forgets about the other question(s).

glamisguy99 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

I personally have 2 mini piezo sirens and the siren that came with the alarm hooked up to the siren output and it works just fine.  If you want to add strobes you will need to wire up a relay to the siren output in addition to the sirens.

As a side note, I put the mini piezo sirens in the air vents on the sides of the dash.  Sat in the car and set off the alarm.  All I can say is if a theif wants to sit next to one of them long enough to rip out my stereo, he's not gonna have enough hearing left to enjoy it! 

lucky259 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
so you have 3 sirens hooked up to 1 output?? I was planning on just splicing into the wires of the mini piezo and  hooking up the 2nd mini piezo. Could I do that??
lucky259 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  

Now for the strobe install.....I still have no idea how to hook it up.

Anyone have a diagram?????

mediashock 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
what strobes?? hmm is it to blind a potential person ? or something?
glamisguy99 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

Yes I have 3 sirens connected to the same output, if it were me I would go ahead and tap into the existing piezo that you have.  As for the strobes, I think you need to use a seperate relay so you don't overload the alarm brain.  Try this diagram I lifted from elsewhere on this site.

Using a 30 amp SPDT relay, connect terminal #87 to constant 12 volts positive WITH A FUSE.  Connect terminal #85 to ground, terminal #86 to the positive wire going to the siren, and terminal #30 to the positive wires on the strobes.  The negative wires on the strobes go to ground as usual.

Maybe one of the pro's around here will give their input on whether I got this right or not.  I installed my first alarm 2 weeks ago in my car and had never messed around with relays before.  Everything I have learned has come from this site.  Search and dig around...most of the answers are here.

lucky259 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
glamisguy, thanks for the diagram!! I'll have to try it out. I've searched and searched and there are a few other threads about this but none of them really give a good explanation. I'm new to all this electrical stuff so most of the stuff being said here is greek to me!! Where can I get relays at???
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic