Q-cell instead of Bondo?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crzycreations 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys,

I am going to begin making a center console for my brothers crown victoria this weekend and I am buying the resin, f-glass, and Q-cell from uscomposites.com and I was wondering if I can just use the Q-cell/resin mixture instead of body filler? I saw one other persone on this forum use q-cell and it turned out real nice. Is there a set amount of Q-cell per "x" amount of resin that should be used?

-Don't buy it, Build it-
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
I think this is a 2:1 ratio.   2parts qcell to one part resin.  My next thing im going to try instead of body filler, is a couple coats of just resin to make the surface real smooth. Sand that down, then just a skim coat of rage sand again. Ready for primer.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
crzycreations 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
thanks realitycheck. Hopefully I will get the supplies soon so I can get to making it. I'm going to try to get the frame done this weekend, and next weekend the fiberglassing and painting.
-Don't buy it, Build it-
95Pony 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
Dont mean to sound too newbish, but what is Q-Cell? Sounds like fleece since you just want to use that and no fg...
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
Q-cells can also be called fumed silica or something else i cant think of right now. Its kind of like talc powder which also can be used. You just mix it w/ the resin and it forms into like a peanut butter consistency then you mix in your hardener and you can paste it on like bondo. So you dont have to glass the enclosure.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
95Pony 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Woah thats crazy! I never new tht... Where do you get it? Ive never seen it at Wal-Mart lol. Select Products maybe?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
You can use it. And it would probly work out alright. But one of the main points to body filler is that sand easier. Much Much Much easier.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
crzycreations 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

thanks guys,

Just to clear things up, I am going to use fiberglass for the console, but for the finishing touches (applying body filler, sanding etc) I want to just use the q-cell/resin mixture instead of the body filler, just checking if that'd work :-) thanks again.

-Don't buy it, Build it-
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  
the silica is ok for building up, but if your just using it for finishing, stick with bondo, you are going to spend a LOT more time sanding if you use that stuff
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic