icon

deciding subs, too many choices

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
caferaceman 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
I've contemplated my choices a million times but can't come to an answer...maybe someone can help...
First, my system: Kenw. KDC-x789, amp: Alpine MRP-F320 (40x4,120x1), (4) Infinity 462.5cfp's, (1) JL 10W0.
I had all of this in a reg cab S10 but I have moved to a reg cab full size now. Now that I have more room i would like to go to 2 10's. I could just get 2 JL 10w0-8's and be happy but I'm tired of paying JL prices. So, I need a 10 that has an rms around 120 and doesnt take up more than .75 cf. I have looked at tons of subs and very few have that low of rms. Would a 200w rms sub be damaged with only 120w (I know to keep the gain down...)Any thumbs up or down on: Alpne sws-1041D, PG R10d, RF P110s8 or P210s8, or the CV HED 10's (but I cant find box specs for CV's but the site says 150 rms)...SO>>>any suggestions on a pair of low watt 10's for a small enclosure (.65-.75)???
P.s. Going to a 2 amp system is not an option, I know I could do it and have more of a selection for subs to handle power but there has got to be a way to be satisfied with what I already have and get a little more kick with another 10. Also going to a pair of 8's would be an option and they are more in line with the wattage I have but somene would have to give them a super high recomm. for sq and kick...
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  

Easy choice. RE 10

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
zuhare 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
i have the perfect subs:  Xcite 10" subs they are 250 watts and are brand new, they are great for small enclosures, i was going to use them for my ford f150 custom box but decided to go with components instead
zuhare
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

hahahahahah ur kidding right

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

build a ported box for the sub you already have. lots more room in full size

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
I gotta give the P1 from rockford a big thumbs down and I think that you dont have the power for the p2. You also have to keep in mind that many of the subs you listed are not avalible in 8 ohm versions, at least to the best of my knowleadge. I dont like JL myself but if you were happy with the previous one you had it might not be a bad Idea to stick with what you know. The RE stuff I have heard good things about and but havent had personal experience with them. I need a little info on that amp, is it 120X1 at 4 ohms, and is it stabelt o two ohms, cause if its not stable to two ohms and you only have 120 watts of power than I agree with ss-installer, keep your sub and build a ported box, cause you dont have the power to run two subs effectivly.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
Alpine Guy wrote:

hahahahahah ur kidding right

I was thinkin the same thing....  "I don't need a ten, I went with components instead"
redchevy99 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 5:15 AM / IP Logged  
You should get rid of all the stuff you have right now and start over.  Well really just sell ur sub and amp and buy somethin better. I agree with Ravendarat about not liking JL but disagree about the P1. I had 2 P1 12" subs in my old car and they sounded pretty good. Dont know about the 10" tho. One of my friends has 2 P2 10" subs and i think a 600 watt boss amp and it sounds decent.....prolly sound better if he had a real amp. And Id say to stay away from buying any 8" woofer unless u want ur system to sound like its farting all the time. Id get a more powerful amp and get 2 P2 10s.
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
I'd also recommend getting a bit more in funds together and go with a bit more of an amplifier and either one or two subs that can handle a bit more power. I have a 600 watt amp on a pair of 10" subs, all Diamond Audio in my single cab truck and it sounds great. They have about .57 each box so they don't take up much room at all, I am considering rewiring a single sub for a 4 ohm load to see how it sounds with 300 watts at 4 ohm from the same amp, I'm sure it will still sound great that way, just no quite as loud. What kind of budget do you have by the way, that would help in determining what would work best as well.
You can use a sub rated for higher wattage in that setup as well, you will not get its full potential is all.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

redchevy99 wrote:
And Id say to stay away from buying any 8" woofer unless u want ur system to sound like its farting all the time.

Sounds like someone didnt have the right box built or didnt know how to set their gains, or were expecting the bass of a 12 from a 8. You can easily get away with using 8's as long as you carefully plan out your system. And as for the P1 thing. I deal the things and they have been one of the most unreliable subs I have ever delt with. I have never seen so many subs fail from MANUFACTURE DEFECTS. It rivals the comp10 that came out about 4 years ago where their tinsel leads ripped off the cone all the time. I am still waiting for a response on the exact power of the 5th channel with the resistance it was tested at.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic