icon

Bandpass Box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Samt18 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
Sup guys.  I've got an SUV, and have 2 12's in a sealed box right now.  I want it to shove more, however I don't really have the money right now to buy subs and the like, so I want to upgrade the box.  I think I'd like to go with a good bandpass box which should give me more shove.  I just don't really know what to get though.  I'm looking for something really good, preferably under $150, but I can go up to $200 if I need to.  So the question is, is there a certain type of bandpass box that would work better in an SUV?  Also, anybody got a link or pics of some good ones so I can get an idea of what to look for?  Thanks fellas.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
What type of subs do have? you need to know if they are compatible in a bandpass box.
Before you consider a bandpass box, you might think about a slot ported box or ported box. High output, lower power requirements, and you can retain a little sq.
A bandpass box will be loud at certain frequencies, they tend to not sound that great.
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know if they are compatible.  I've got the Sony Xplod's, the 5-sided ones.  They are rated at 1200 peak if that helps.  They're bout two years old.  Yeh I do want to keep some SQ.  I guess I should look at a ported box...what is the difference between a ported and a slot ported box?

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
what is the model # ?
If I am not mistaken those subs are really best used in a sealed box, but just to make sure, lets get the model#
What are you powering them with?
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
Ok where can I get the model number?  I'm powering them with an 800 watt Sony amp.
dwarren 
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
the model # usually resides on the magnet.
The sony line isn't always associated with great sound or durability. Although it should work nonetheless.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I know I'm getting old, but you want more "shove"??  What the heck is "shove"? 

I assume you mean you want more SPL (louder.)  A bandpass enclosure is the best way to squeeze extra SPL out of marginal speakers.  Don't take this the wrong way I am not trying to slam you, but those pentagon-shaped Sony speakers are the definition of marginal.  It really won't matter if they are designed for BP mounting or not, if you want to try it go for it, you can't make them sound worse.  I suggest you stop by your friendly neighborhood car audio shop, tell them you are interested in a pre-fab bandpass box for your speakers and that your budget is $150, and see if they can hook you up.

Cheers!

Support the12volt.com
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Yes DYohn more shove is more SPL...sorry i didnt use the "correct" terminology.  And yeh  i know that my subs suck but they were all I could afford at the time.  If I would've had more money at the time then I would've bought better speakers. 
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

If you want to try to design one yourself download WinISD (it allows you to model up subs and play around with different boxes and box sizes).  WinISD (click here)

I played around with it a little with your subs in a 6th order bandpass box and it'd be louder than a sealed box definitely. I don't really have that much experience with bandpass boxes though...

Or you could go to a local shop and ask them to build one for you. They will need the T/S parameters (should be in your sub's manual).

Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks alot custom.  I appreciate that u would take the time to mess around with that for me
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic