power, component systems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
Awsome, see now that makes sense to me.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
mikew04 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
Glad to help power, component systems - Page 2 -- posted image.
6th gen Celica | Alpine CDA-9827 | Pioneer GMX962 | CDT CL components | JBL 600.1 | Infinity Reference 12
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

Glad all this was resolved without any input from me.  :-)  Nice job, Mike.

Anyway, to pull it all back around on topic, the previous power discussion highlights the diminishing returns on large amplifiers.  i.e. after a certain point, you aren't gaining much practical increase in performance for your extra dollar spent.  That said, I totally understand the desire to use some massive amplifiers for the sheer "my amp is bigger than yours and has huge headroom" motivation. 

Shootist, if you -are- looking for SQ, before you buy, think about possible ways to get the components in your kicks.  (On axis and with the tweeter within inches of the midrange).  These installation considerations may have a larger overall impact on SQ than the actual speakers you end up buying, (once a certain level of speaker competancy is reached), in my opinion. 

While we're helping you plan, what do you have in store for your bass?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
shootist 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
either a brahma or a G5 seems to be my favorite at this point... i was thinking keeping it BA would be pretty cool but i still have a desire for the brahma due to all the rave about it :P but then again it seems difficult to find a brahma so thats why im leaning more towards the G5's at the moment.
currently im looking at sl60s on a 75x2 rockford amp and a 10" G5 powered by 250W memphis amp which would all together run me about 850$ from s... it is keeping under my 1000$ limit and it seems like it will be pretty good. any suggestions on how i should change the setup??? i dont mind drastic changes ill take anything into consideration :)
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
shootist 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
a different setup would be
FS50 components in front
SL80 components in rear
G5 10" sub
all run on a memphis 5 channel amp. 75x4 + 300x1
this costs about 1200.
someone told me to stay away from anything in boston acoustics under the SL line... they said SL, PRO, or Z was the way to go and anything under that would not be loud enough. is this true? since you said that my speakers will only need ~60watts to run at a non hearing-damaging level, i think he is wrong but there has to be a reason he said it :P
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
shootist 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
ok im really confused...
im going to take these numbers from sonic electronix's site... can someone explain to me why speakers with higher rms are cheaper?
lets take the FX8, NX87, and SL80
they are all 5x7/6x8" speakers.
all are 2way with ~90DB sensitivity and about the same frequency response. impedance is 4 ohms. now lets look at the rms:
FX8 = 120rms    for 80$
NX87 = 160rms    for 120$
SL80 = 60rms     for 200$
ok so whats the difference b/w these? are the sl's the most respectable? will the FX and NX ones still be very impressive?
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
shootist 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
would you recommend against a prebuilt sub/amp/enclosure??? i know that this can not be great but will it really be that bad?? one im looking at now is:
http://www.sonicelectrnix.com/item_4247.html
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
You sure vary a lot, don't you? The MA audio thing would be -A- system. That's about it. I think it would fail miserably at meeting either your SQ or SPL goals.
On the rms price difference thing. High power handling does not equal quality. The price difference is because the SL line uses higher quality parts and is more like "components in a plate" rather than cheaper quality coaxial speakers.
Also, usually people buying cheap speakers like to see HUGE numbers. The manufacturers usually lie to people that don't know any better, sad to say.
On the actual speaker choices. You should decide how interested in SQ you really are. If you really are interested in SQ, I would stick with the Pro or Z lines. You really do need to take a listen to these speakers before you buy though. Is there any particular reason you are focused on Boston? Boston makes nice speakers, but there are many other companies that make nice speakers too.
Memphis is a nice choice on the amplification. I think they provide a nice quality/price point. In fact, Memphis's more expensive component set
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=9
with the blue silk tweeter sounds fantastic for the money. The Diamond Audio Hex components are also fantastic for the money. (I personally think either of these is probably a better value than the Bostons -- although the Bostons are very nice quality speakers)
Your bass decision. The single 10" driver sounds like an SQ system design choice to me... not one someone would make that wants to set off car alarms with SPL. Sooo... here again, you should really think about what you want. If it is SQ, wonderful choice with the Brahma and 300w. If it is really more massive-SPL oriented, you should probably look at a more efficient system with more power.
Anyway, sleep on it and decide what your real goals are. :-)
shootist 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
the happy SQ/SPL medium is the reason for the constant vary lol... how bout this... im looking to impress people inside and out. i dont necessarily need to set off car alarms but i would like to have a decent SPL and i somewhat am starting to believe that basically any speaker on the market will get to and ear piercing volume. so i guess its more into SQ/price now.
ive heard boston setups before and was really overwhelmed even w/o subs. im not stuck on boston but ive never heard anything bad about them and is one of the few aftermarket systems ive heard in person.
kfr would u mind just recommending a good setup for me. you seem to know what i want lol. your alot of help man thanks mucho
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
kfr01 
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Shootist:
I think the volume thing is true for mains. If you want to impress people outside of the car you'll need a larger bass system.
For you:
Deck: An Alpine or Eclipse with front/rear/subwoofer pre-outs that can all be assigned crossovers on the deck.
Mains:
You ---need--- to go out and listen and find what you like with -your- music. Really. Go ahead and order online, but try to take a listen and at least compare a few brands to get a feel for their sound. They'll all sound different!
That said, here's a setup I'm confident would sound pretty good to most ears.. Try the 6.5" Diamond Hex speakers or the Memphis 6.5" speakers I linked in my previous post. Make custom kick panels for them. Put some Diamond or Memphis coaxials in the rear.
Sub: If you want to impress your friends outside the car I would recommend being willing to dedicate as much space in the rear to a subwoofer box as possible. If you can fit them try a pair of Koda 12D8. They are more efficient than the Brahma and will have similar SQ. Translation: louder with less power. Again, if you have space, get them in a ported enclosure tuned to 25hz. They have less excursion and thus are individually not as capable, SPL-wise, but a pair of these will be easier to get louder with low amplifier power than one Brahma.
Amps: Any quality brand will work. I'd go separate mains/sub amp, just for future flexibility reasons. 50x4 for the mains. Class D mono 2-ohm stable at ~300w would be ideal if you port those Koda 12D8s. Find one w/ subsonic filter if you can.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic