icon

Love stock sound?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skitzo315 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
I know this is going just about every last person who reads this post laugh but I have a 2002 Mazda Protege DX with stock sound and I love it. Anytime I try a different head unit or speakers the sound isn't bad but was better before. The back speakers are 6x9's and the front speakers are 6x8's (Factory head unit). The speakers have no built in tweeters and don't even appear to be made with higher quality material like aftermarket are. Last but not least I have no idea if there is a factory amp in the car somewhere possibly helping the sound. Even though I love the sound I just hate the idea of having stock. Is there ANYONE who is famaliar with the sound in the Protege and can match my factory sound with aftermarket components? The one thing I do hate is the tweeters on the aftermarket speakers. I seem to have too much voice coming in over base when those are on my speakers. Is there a head unit to control this? Can anyone help me?
Lead, follow or get out of the way.
Greymour 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 4:13 AM / IP Logged  
It'll cost you, but get the pioneer avic-n2...  Pioneer has always had the best EQs in my opinion, and the N2 simply blows anything else away...  I switched my kenwood 815 out for the avic, and I was completely enthralled.  Its like I got a whole new system put in, not just a headunit.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 5:33 AM / IP Logged  
Does your car have any additional speakers up front? 3.5"? 4"? Tweeters?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
If you're happy with the sound why mess with it?  But I will say that I've known many people who say they are happy with a factory sound system until they get a chance to listen to a really good system.  The usual reaction is something like "Wow, I didn't realize how much better it could be!" 
Support the12volt.com
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

Throw a nice head unit in there, a 4 channel amp, 4 new speakers, a single sub and sub amp and you will be amazed, all will probably cost you around $1000 too.

I think what you like in your system is the over exadurated mid bass comming from those speakers, with that you are not hearing the beauty of music.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Funny you mention that; In my current quest on my Honda Accord I'm trying to do without a sub in the trunk. As you guys may have read I installed those bass shakers. Crazy thing is I tuned up the midbass like you said and am using the bass shakers to bring out the super low notes. It sounds pretty crappy to me but it's managed to awe some people. The problem is that there is a big gap in the low frequencies.
But if this poster likes the way his factory system sounds I say get bass shakers. (Whoa I never thought I'd tell anyone to get bass shakers) My main reason being price. Because you can do like me and get the shakers off ebay for like 70bucks, a cheap 300w poweracustic amp to push them for like 70bucks, and some power cable for like 20 bucks. Total is like $160 for an experiance of bass that takes up no space; less than the price you would pay for 1 quality sub.
I'm not going to be the bass shaker pusher of this forum but you gotta admit.
-once you go subs you'll go broke
-You can't just change one peice of the factory system without changing it all.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

5150azn wrote:
But if this poster likes the way his factory system sounds I say get bass shakers. (Whoa I never thought I'd tell anyone to get bass shakers) My main reason being price. Because you can do like me and get the shakers off ebay for like 70bucks, a cheap 300w poweracustic amp to push them for like 70bucks, and some power cable for like 20 bucks. Total is like $160 for an experiance of bass that takes up no space; less than the price you would pay for 1 quality sub.
I'm not going to be the bass shaker pusher of this forum but you gotta admit.
-once you go subs you'll go broke
-You can't just change one peice of the factory system without changing it all.

I have to disagree with a couple of things you wrote.  First off, bass shakers are just that, vibrators.  They can add to the sensation of low bass, especially in a home theatre setup, but they do absolutely nothing to enhance the sound.  I suggest they are a waste of money and amplifier power.  But hey, if you like them then go for it!  Second, what do you mean by "once you go subs you'll go broke"?  Please explain this one.  And thirdly, yes you can change one part of a factory system without changing it all.  The best low-cost single upgrade anyone with a factory system can do is replace the factory speakers with good quality after market drop-ins.  This one change can dramatically improve the sound qyuality of an OEM system, and nothing else needs to be changed to accomplish it.  Of course changing it all is the only way to create the "best" sound, but it is certainly not necessary!

Support the12volt.com
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have heard some stock systems that sounded pretty good. My friends sport trac had a 6" sub and pioneer speakers from the factory, also a friends mom had a envoy with a really nice stock system. Both of these systems were good if you listened to rock becasue they got loud and sounded clean, but didnt have much bass. One stock system I heard was in a Infiniti (i think) at the buffalo auto show, there was something like 15 speakers in the car. Personally I could never go back to stock, I could never deal with the lack of bass, but whatever floats your boat.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
What I mean is ...
Once you decide on getting a sub you can't settle for just a $89 special. And you can't settle for a $100 amp. You end up paying at least 500 bucks minimum for a quality sub amp set up that will get you by. And by then the bug has bitten you and audio equiment will suddenly appear out of no where and you wallet will start losing weight and then.... you go broke
And if you just replace the speakers of course you'll need a new headunit in order to take advantage of the added range of your new speakers. And you'll need more power to take advantage of your new speakers power handling range.
Bass Shakers... I only suggested them because the poster liked his factory system. Yes they don't add to the "sound quality". But they can add to the whole "experiance". And for less than the price of 1 sub! And if your happy with the sound already... what the hey? For less than 200 bucks your car can feel like you have some major lows.
Again, I'm not trying to sell them or say that I love them. I still love real bass. I just think they are a legitimate option; and an option that has been under played.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

I disagree with that.  My woofer was on sale from cardomain, an authorized dealer for $130.  My sub amplifier was purchased refurbished, from another authorized dealer, for $170.  I built the box.  So, for less than double the price of the bass shaker setup, I have what many folks regard as a decent quality sounding 10" driven by enough honest power to add some bass at moderate listening levels.  I don't think my decisions or story is uncommon.  If I wanted a get as close to your price as possible.  Try a Dayton subwoofer from partsexpress (nice quality woofers for the money) and match it with a small refurbed amplifier from MTX or someone else in that brand range.  You'd spend less than $200 and have actual sound.

So, I think if you have -some- self control, there IS a middle ground of quality products that won't run you broke.

I guess if you know you'll go insane and spend beyond your means, then well, ok... bass shakers to the rescue.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic