Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kmn5 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
any fiberglass/molding experts?
I have a question.
I dunno where to ask this, just remembered a number of the guys here have made some nice fiberglass stuff
(I dunno if this is even possible, but I don't think a mirror image mold can be created)
My problem:
I have one sideskirt from a REAL bomex body kit.
the other sideskirt was destroyed by ups :(
I also have the back bumper.
But the kit is useless with one sideskirt missing,
And Bomex doesn't sell individual pieces
I know how to use the existing skidskirt as a mold to create a duplicate copy BUT the problem is I need to dulpicate one that is also a reversed/mirror image to go on the other side of the car......
Any clue as to how this can be done,
I'd be willing to pay a shop to do it if it's even possible.
other wise I'll be throwing out the other sideskirt
thanks guys
damn ups :(question for fiberglass/molding experts -- posted image.
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
wait (no expert but...) how is the one side destroyed? i would think you would fiberglass/bondo the skirt for it do be fine.. you wouldnt need to duplicate mirror image it if its the exact side.. understand what im saying?? sorry might be confusing..
kmn5 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
oh forgot to add some more info.
after I files the claim UPS came and took the part for inspection.
They said they'll cover the limit of the insurance in which case THEY get to keep the part! question for fiberglass/molding experts -- posted image.
but I can't have both.
so I took the money.
the other way I woul dhave been screwed, cause THEY WANTED ME TO PAY FOR SHIPPING OF THE PART BACK!!!!!
can you belive that!?
I filed a complaint to bith, but I never heard from them.
I never knew they would get to keep the part or that I would have to pay for shipping for the inpection otherwise I would have never let them com eand get it! question for fiberglass/molding experts -- posted image. question for fiberglass/molding experts -- posted image. question for fiberglass/molding experts -- posted image.
so back to my situation.
I have almost a full body kit, but with one sideskirt missing, and one unless one :(
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
I can't think of any way to mold the one side and then make a new piece for the other side without some serious skills. It might be easier to just make 2 new ones from scratch. If there is a way, someone here will know it.
::Thats pretty sh*tty of UPS. FedEx ain't no better though.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
branvw 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

you cant, you would have to rebuild it or make a copy and cut it up and re do it

placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
why dont u try to make your own design side skirts...shouldnt be too tricky if u can do boxes. 
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
I remember someone on here before saying that you can put a THIN layer of some kind of latex on the peice and flip it inside out when it is finnished. It won't be exact, bu from there you can get you basic design and use the other one as a reference to fab up the rest of it.
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
the latex is a good idea, you can get most of the stuff you might need from www.smooth-on.com.
the only other option that comes to mind is to get some foam, like floral foam, or 2 part expanting foam. you can make a blank, or a block of foam and shape it to look like it needs to be then make your fiberglass version from that. it is fairly simple, and the fact that they are on opposite sides of the car, it doesnt need to be exactly the same, just really close.
hope that helped a little.....if you need more info, lemme know
kmn5 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys
interesting options

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic