icon

Neon Integration

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I'm thinking of a project I wanna start that should be fairly easy and can be started immediately with like little to do with my equipment right now. I'm gonna do a mold of an area, then I wanna do something to light it up but not with just a neon light behind 100% clear plexi or something, I want a material that kinda disbursts the lighting make it like mostly stop at the surface. Something like what you'd see in a shower, that mostly stops lights once they hit the surface. Can't really think of a way to describe it, dangit. But basically it'd just look like a panel that was lighting up and providing little lighting through it. Obviously going to use neons for the lighting. Just want a different surface and I can't think of what would be good, or even exactly how to implement it. Any ideas?
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

u could still use plexi but just frost the back of the plexi...that will make everthing u frosted glow blue (or whatever color.)

r0yal 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
yea, thats what I was gonna say.. frosted... I dont know how to do that, so all I would do is scuff it up good with some fine sand paper Neon Integration -- posted image.
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Did you ever think of using LEDs instead of neon tubes? they provide the same amount of light, cost less, and use less power. Then you can just aim them wherever you want. I will include a paint drawing of what I'm talking about...
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
Neon Integration -- posted image.
Naturally I'm not the best artist, but this is a simple picture...it is basically a box, the little lines indicate plexiglass, and the green lights are LEDs. I have six pictured, that might be too much; but you get the picture. Good thing is that they are so small you can place them anywhere you want and the light they emit is immaculate for their size. Just a suggestion.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
either way...if the glass isnt frosted u wont have a nice even glow over clear plexi.  I think u can buy glass frosting kits at walmart or something, but u can also just scuff up the back with some sandpaper...220 i think would be good as it shouldnt leave nasty scratch grooves.  plus if u do clear plexi u also have to worry about what the inside will look like.
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  

Ok sweet, that was what I was thinking of. Where can I buy plexi at exactly? Never had to buy it to be honest.

Concerning the LEDs, I would use them for an area where I need a tighter fit, but well, I can get a couple 9" from the local store for cheap(courtesy of an employee I am associated to) and I like neons. :) Plus I want the strong line it'll form. Now this doesn't mean I won't consider LEDs just to test, but for then, where can I buy seperate LEDs that I can wire together? (One problem is I haven't ever even dealt with LEDs to know how to wire them, neon setups are pretty easy.)

Thanks for the great replies guys!

EDIT: Oh and also, how do I get the plexi to fit into the FG work? I'd guess that the sanding would help it bond or even drilling holes and such, but I don't want this to go very FAR into the FG piece since it will be on a rounded area. (I'm kinda 50/50 if I want the plexi rounded as people will be moving around the area and if it is rounded, if even possible, then it'd probably get kicked more.)

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
Make an MDF frame for your Plexi. Make it part of your enclosure, then screw in the plexi when your done.
You can buy spray on frost at wal-mart or lowes. I wouldn't sand it. It would be hard to get an even finish.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks nik.

Still need to know where to buy plexi. :)

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
You can buy Plexi at Lowes...they have already cut pieces but you can have them cut a size that you need. Concerning LEDs they wire the same way that neons do (red(+), black(-)) they are a little bit easier to install becasue they are about the radius of a pencil, so they are very small; Check places like Advance Auto or Autozone to see if they have them...if not try Ebay, never hurts to try.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic