icon

my amp blew both fuses!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

if you are running 3 speakers in parallel each at four ohms, the simple math of Ohm's Law (Rt=1/((1/R1)+(1/R2)+(1/R3)+...)

where Rt=total resistance

R1,R2,R3=each resistor (speaker) in the circuit.

put the numbers in, and you get: Rt=1/((1/4)+(1/4)+(1/4))

Rt=1/(3/4)

Rt=1.33333333333333 (forever) Ohms.

That is BELOW the rated lowest impedance of your amplifier. Now, you didn't say whether you have the amp bridged, if you do, the lowest you can safely load you amp is FOUR ohms. If  you are in stereo, the lowest os two ohms. From your description I think you are bridged, but cannot be usre. If so, the reason the fuses blew was to keep the amp from frying. You're very lucky you havn't fried it thusfar. To make a safe load for your amp, you need to re-wire the subs to get a load that is HIGHER than 4 ohms.

I'm not sure on your description whether your subs are dvc with each coil being 4 ohms, making each sub 2 ohms, or dvc, with each coil being 8 ohms making each sub 4 ohms.  If each coil is four ohms, and everything is in parallel, you are actually running an effective load of 0.6666666667 ohms, WAY too low for your amp.

With a little more information, we'll be able to help you get your subs all correctly ired. For now, just realise that you are running too low, and are in danger of frying your amp.

/NyxBass
demond96 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
my amp blew both fuses! - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.My subs are dvc each coil being 4ohms. When I wire them in parallel They are 2ohms. All three subs together they are 0.66 something. For nearly a year I've had these subs and amp wired like this and had no problems. O.K, I recently pulled everything out to clean and noticed that I did not have my amp bridged, so I changed it to how the manual for the amp says to bridge it correctly. Thats when the fuses started blowing. So I changed it back to + from the right to + from the left and everything is back to normal. Why is that, the sound is the same but the fuses don't blow. I can turn the volume up and the fuses hold, bridge it and the fuses blow.
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

First...demond..that interesting response, was me being a smart allec...right above it you posted..jsut your name...jsut so you know...

Second...because when you are bridging the amp the correct way, you're putting a 0.66 load on it, as you said...VERY FEW AMPS ARE 1 OHM STABLE, TO BEGIN WITH!!!  and Visoninks...are only 2 ohm stable...

Like we said...be glad the fuses blew, and the amp didn't decide to smoke you out of your ride.....Rule of thumb...if you're unsure of your amps abilities..do not drop any laod on it below two..so if you're running stereo, 2 ohms a channel...running mono..2 ohms total.......

And the reason you're didn't have this problem before...you might have done a Series Parellel, or some other type of wiring scheme that didn't drop the load down below 2 ohms....

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
demond96 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2002 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
my amp blew both fuses! - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.Thanks guys for all of your time. I do apprecciate your help. So far everything is playing well, for now.  I still have everything wired left side+, to right side+, As long as nothing happens and it continues to sound low, loud, and clear, I'll leave it like this. But still can anyone say why this amp is playing with it being wired like this. Once again, thanks guys.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic