the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Box making experts!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  

Blackie, forbidden has shown you the light.  You are probably not inputting parameters correctly in the program;  for example, Audiobahn lists SD as M2, where most programs want cm^2.....so a listing of .044 M2 would translate to 444 cm^2.  And possibly some other things, too.  Take the considerable trouble to get all inputs correct.

You also must know how these two subs are going to be connected if you are going to work up your own design....which is why I asked you in the beginning how the wiring was going to be done.  You didn't answer that.  If I were designing an enclosure I would input that necessary information.

Use the site's tech support, go to 2004 Flame Compression, you have a choice of seeing PDF files for T/S parameters, suggested box specs and graphs.  Use this information as it is already figured out for you.  As forbidden has stated, the total cubic feet for one sub would be 3.5.  Notice that they are kind enough to give you both net volume of 3.15 and total volume including port and driver displacement. 

Look at the box sizes, etc, given and choose the one with the response and size that will suit your purposes best.  To build for two subs instead of one, separate the box into two chambers so that each chamber has the physical characteristics as outlined in the Audiobahn help.  The two chambers must be sealed from each other.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Blackiewrx 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

winisd already has the subs info in its list of subs that it gives you in the begining. are you saying that the information may not be right and i should enter in a "new sub" parameters?  Also if i just choose one sub on win isd it give me this  ---->  internal volume of .5 cubic feet and a port with a 4 inch opeing thats 75 inches long!!!! that makes no damn sense and doesnt match audiobahns specs at all??? I also double check all the T/S parameters and they are right.  What else could be wrong??  if i cant figure this out soon i will just make two seperate boxes with audiobahn recomendations, but i really wanted a to do a single port mono box, can someone enter the aw1208T into winisd and see what they come up with??

03 wrx stage 4
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

Read what I wrote in https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=50823&KW=WinISD

Everything you're asking is explained in the Help section of WinISDPro.  And yes, the parameters may be incorrect, so don't assume they're right.  Picture this:  the author of this program entered all those parameters for all those speakers himself.  I can picture his eyes getting a little bit blurry by the time he got to the 30th Audiobahn model...

...and you'll see that I mention this 'recommended 4" x ___" ' port size in that thread.  After reading what I said you'll understand more on how you are supposed to use the program.

Besides all that... and I hope you read the linked thread and the entire Help section in WinISDPro.....you can easily convert the ports needed for two enclosures into one port for one combined enclosure.  There are some calculators that help with that, some of which I linked to in that thread shown above.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Blackiewrx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
I double checked everything, the t/s perameters are right everything is fine and im still getting some imposible numbers out of it.  try enetering a a simple vented box for one audiobahn aw1208t and you will get this  a box that is .5 cubic ft and a port that is 75  inched long!?!?!  This really make me wonder if WinIsd even works, i read the entire help section twice and re enetered all my information corectly and im still getting nonsense for a box design, the graph even looks like poop. 
03 wrx stage 4
stevdart 
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

What am I doing, talking to myself here??

Blackiewrx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
Look man....... I know my problem im having is obviously somthing that im doing wrong, i admit that.  But please understand that i have read the entire Winisd help section and all your other helpfull advice. I triple checked all the T/S perameters that i was using for the AW1208T on the winisd program but everytime i try to make even design a simple vented box for just one of those subs it gives me these specs " .5 ft^3 and a 4'' round port that 75 inches long" this i know is wrong and i know you know that its wrong too.  Im really about to give up on this one, steve, i dont understand where i went wrong. Thanks for all your help though.
03 wrx stage 4
stevdart 
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I'll give it a look when I get the chance.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

Blackiewrx wrote:
.5 ft^3 and a 4'' round port that 75 inches long" this i know is wrong and i know you know that its wrong too.  .

Nope, that would be correct.  In a 0.5 cuft enclosure with a 4" port tuned to 29.5Hz, the port needs to be 75 inches long.  Not a very logical setup, eh?  It could be done, though.  I'm thinking a snorkle port...

The real problem is the T/S parameters given by Audiobahn are not correct.  Those compression drivers exhibit really strange behavior and I will bet you a brand new bananna skin trombone that if you measure the actual performance for one of those drivers you'll get numbers WAY different from the published specs.  33l Vas for a 12" driver?  Kinda small.  In any case, just do what Audiobahn recomends and you'll get the best you can out of those things.  They are really only good for high SPL noise anyway, so it's not like you're likely to hear any difference no matter what you do!

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic