icon

Reducing 4ga to 8ga

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
704acc 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
My alpine MRV-F450 accepts an 8 guage power wire.  I want to run a 4 guage power wire then reduce it to fit the 8 guage connection.   Any suggestions on how to do this and where I might find such a connector? {other than the local audio stores}
Ray Kane
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
The accepted way is to use a fused distribution block that will accept 4 ga. in and has at least one 8 ga. out.  The distro has a slot for the fuse that will be necessary for the smaller 8 ga. wire.  Any other method you use for connecting a larger to a smaller power wire must include a fuse at the power supply end of the smaller wire.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
704acc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your prompt response.

I am only using one amp, so I do not need a distribution block.  I am going to have a fuse or circuit breaker on the 4 guage wire about 10 inches away from the battery.  From there I will run directly to the amp under my seat.  At the amp end is where I have to reduce the wire size.

Ray Kane
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
Any other method you use for connecting a larger to a smaller power wire must include a fuse at the power supply end of the smaller wire.

...which is why I wrote what I did.  The power supply end of the smaller wire would be where it connects with the 4 ga.  But another way to accomplish what you want is to simply clip outer wire strands on the 4 ga. until you reduce it to the point where it will fit the amp input.  No additional wire fuse would be needed this way.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
704acc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

So I should have a second fuse down stream from the one at the car battery since I am reducing the wire size?

Am I causing a hazard if I were to clip down the 4 guage wire at the amp like you said?

Ray Kane
RedKatanaX9 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
If you are only running one amp, why would you want to run 4 gauge and reduce it to 8 gauge? All you need to do is run the 8 gauge from battery to amp.
Unless you plan to expand your system to have multiple amps later, then it makes sense to run 4 gauge now, but you should still use a distribution block, then 8 gauge out to your amp.
704acc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
The amp is a 5 channel setup @ 50x4 + 200x1  A lot of current for an 8 guage connection.  It is in a pickup truck and there will not be any other amps added.  I do not want to use a distribution block unless I have to.
Ray Kane
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
distro blocks, cheaps ones are like $10 at wal-mart
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
Just clip off strands till it fits an 8 guage connector, no need for a distro block in that setup imo.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
jcassonjr 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
an 8 ga power source in an application like that should be fine. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
Alpine cda-9855
Alpine Mrd-m1000
1 farad digital Rockford cap
2 Treo SSi 12's
Large centerport box
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic