icon

L7 or W3v2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jl_tulane 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I have an extended cab silverado and a box that downfires two 12's underneath the back seat.  The enclosure volume is pretty small (about 0.75 cu. ft. per chamber). Right now I have a Rockford Fosgate 500bd pushing 2 JLW3Vv2's wired in series/parallel at a total of 2 ohms.

My question is this:  I know the solobaric Kicker 12's require about 0.88 cu. ft. as opposed to the JL's which call for about 1.3.  Would I get better bass response if I go out and get the L7's?  Also, at cardomain, I can get factory remanufactured L7's for about $160 each, should I even try to invest in factory remans?

FYI, I am looking for as good SPL as I can get with a setup similar to this. Any help would be appreciated.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
l7's would produce more SPL and be more boomy, but would sound like poop in a open cargo vehicle.   I am not a big fan of them
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

I would stick with the W3's if you want SQ. The Kicker L7's and L5's and mainly SPL subs.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  

Uhh.  OK if my girlfriend hadn't kicked me out I'd be on my *own* computer right now and I'd model them in WinISD, post the graph, and show you how goofy the thought of replacing *JL-W3* subs with Kicker-L-whatever is. 

jl_tulane, manufacters do *not* recommend box sizes based on anything like *sound quality*... they recommend box sizes based a complex series of trade-offs... marketability, SPL v SQ to the average consumer, etc... you'd be amazed how *awful* a manufacturers box-specs actually are in *so many* cases.  Do not read the recommended sealed-box volume and decide one sub is better than the other.  It is MUCH more complicated than that.

Now, if you like SPL and SQ w/o breaking the bank in a super-small box and wanna blow away a W3?

Clearly, you haven't heard the greatest subwoofer ever released to the mass-market, the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1.  Go on back to Sounddomain.com, and slide on over and pick urself up two of those.  They *will* sound better than Kicker-anything and *will* be louder and cleaner than a JLW3. 

If you really mean, "I am looking for as good SPL as I can get with a setup similar to this. Any help would be appreciated."

Three words:  Infinity Kappa Perfect.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2005 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  
I will also recomend the eclipse aluminums, they are great sounding, and in a ported box we were able to pull 143.6db in a trunk vehicle.   measurment were on the term lab.     They did 138.2 in a sealed enclosure
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2005 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  

i don't  understand whats wrong with you ass clowns that think that the solo barics sound like crap...i just don't get it. have you heard them in a professionally installed system? they might not be the best sounding subs ever, but i've hood up so many and never been dissappointed. they play great tight accurate bass. very loudly. every one seems to have some oddball conception that tye CAN"T sound good either because they work at a jl audio dealer or because the subs are square. most people that don't like their sound havn't even heard them. piss off.

anyways...now that i have vented. put two L7 12's in .88 cu ft boxes, w/ 50% polyfill and about 1000 watts strong rms power and ****in' rock out. you'll love it. 

audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2005 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
L7's aren't bad woofs at all IMO. The only downfall is the design which causes the tinsel leads to snap quite regularaly, although i know plenty of people who have never had problems with them. Infinity doesn't really make any loud subs, including the Kappa Perfects. They're not good SPL woofers at all really..so I don't understand that. You're not gunna find a sub louder than the L7 in its price range period. I'm sure you could give em .88 cu ft each, but I would definitely go much larger. Around 7-8 cubes for two if you've got the space. Manufacturers reccomendations don't mean sh**.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  

audiobass10 wrote:
Infinity doesn't really make any loud subs, including the Kappa Perfects.

exactally.

and as for using 7 or 8 cubes for the two subs, well they will slam in a ported box that size, probably harder than you'd ever hope for, but they play loud as hell in a small sealed to. lets not forget what the solobaric was designed for...and if you don't know, i'll explain later.

draggindakota 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
4 '01 model s10L7's w/0.75 cu ft each in an extended cab dakota. Sounded GREAT! With 300 watts to each sub (they take 600w) I hit 141 flat on my first ever try at a bass comp. I've never been a fan of JL. I've installed many for people because they're pretty popular around here, but I don't like the way they sound. But, thats just my opinion. I say go with the kickers. Since they require less space, they will play a lot deeper and not sound so punchy in that size box.
jl_tulane 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

Part of my problem is I am limited in volume.  I want to keep my truck interior pretty much stock (not take out the back seat), but I want some good SPL.  I have had the JL's in there for a while and thought that being as how the manufacturer recommended a smaller volume for the kickers, they would hit harder.

I am pretty much torn.  I doubt I will go with anything else other than these two brands, but I don't want to wind up spending the money and having a system that sounds the same or worse than the one I have now.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic