Slot port vs Standard port

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MoneyPit 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
I have a favor to ask the forum.....
I have never heard what a slot ported box sounds like. My local shop is useless without blueprints to build one.....
I have always had the old fashion ported enclosures, so that's all I have to compare to.
What is the big difference (sound wise) between a slot port box and an old fashioned ported box?
Pro's and cons compared to a standard ported box?
Sorry for the stupid questions but my local shop owner (operator)didn't even know what the difference between the 'FS' on the spec sheet and box tuning freq. He actually thought the recommended ported enclosure for a 12" T1 was tuned to 31hz!
The book says 1.75cu ft each with a 4"x9" port. This is closer to a box tuned to 40hz.........and he's the pro. He said the slot ported box tuned to 30hz would sound like crap. So what's the general opinion for all types of music. (I don't listen to any one kind of music in particular as long as there is good bass to the music)
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

Fs is the point of resonance for the physical parts that make up the loudspeaker.  It is where the speaker's impedence is maximum (usually on the order of 30 ohms or higher.)  Fs is where the loudspeaker parts become balanced and are not controlled properly by the motor structure.  The cone "rings" or vibrates and its usable output drops to near zero, the excursion reaches max and distortion goes through the roof.  In general, you want to avoid driving a loudspeaker at Fs (there are exceptions, such as an ELF system which operates below Fs, but that is way beyond the scope of this question.) 

Fb is the resonant frequency of an enclosure.  In acoustic suspension (sealed) systems it is always higher than Fs for a properly designed enclosure/speaker system as the air inside the enclosure resists speaker motion and helps prevent the cone from ringing.  Actually the proper term for a sealed speaker/enclosure system resonance is Fc.  Usable output below Fc rolls-off at a predictable -12db/oct.

Using a ported enclosure (bass reflex) allows the designer to push F3 (the -3db response point) down closer to Fs.  The system will "boom" at the Fb tuning frequency, as sound at that point is being produced by the port not the loudspeaker.  The roll-off after F3 is about -24db/oct.  Ported systems are generally more efficient than sealed and can produce higher SPL, but the trade-off is that a selaed system protects the driver (loudspeaker) from ever operating at Fs and being potentially damaged by exceeding its excursion limits since the Fc point is higher than Fs.  In a ported system, the driver becomes unloaded below Fb and can very easily be driven to damage.  Ported subwoofers generally need to be protected from over-excursion by a high-pass filter set at or about Fb.

For subwoofers, a properly designed slot port will sound no different than a properly designed round port.  For midrange frequencies, a round port generally sounds more musical (the tone the port produces tends to sound fuller and less like air being pushed out of a port.) 

Hope this helps.

Support the12volt.com
MoneyPit 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks DYohn, yes that helps alot.

Now I know I don't need to spend the extra money to have a slot port box made. I can save about $100 by going with an old fashioned bass reflex box (I'm having it built).

Thanks again!

Bill
System in progress:
2 Kicker KX400.1's - 945w RMS
2 12" P3's in a ported box built by local shop
1 Kicker KX250.2 to drive the mids and highs
1 set Alpine SPR-136A for mids & highs

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic