icon

85 Cressida, Crimestopper 2011RS IV

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
johnbauer 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2005 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out.  This is killing me.

On the alarm part of the install, the docs say:

Green: (-) Door Pin Switch Input

Identify the wire that reads ground when any door is open and 12 volts when all doors are closed.  Some vehicles may have isolated door triggers.  In this case you may need to run additional wires from other doors or go directly to the wire that tribbers the vehicle's interior dome light.  Sometimes newer vehicles contain a separate body control module (BCM) where the door trigger circuit can be located.  Most vehicles will NOT require the use of BOTH Green and Violet (+) door trigger wires.

I can source +12 when all doors are closed.  But no wire in the circuit gives me a ground when a door is opened.  Even though the door pins ground.  The problem is the factory "Fade-Out Relay".  It handles all inputs from the door pins and also grounds the various lamps (dome, ignition key light, door key light, door open light, etc.).  Here's the killer... 

The dome light is on the following circuit (I have a factory electrical manual):

[Battery +]  ->  [fuse 7.5A]   ->  [dome lamp]  ->  [Fade-Out Relay]  -  [Ground]

I hooked up my Fluke DMM to ground (-) and pin 5 of the Fade-Out Relay (wire that comes from the dome).  I get +12.65 when doors are closed by an open circuit (no ground) when a door is opened.  The dome light does indeed light and the other tic-tac lights operate normally as well.

How can this be?  This is the most simple circuit in the world.  Now, I did dig the Fade-Out Relay from the passenger's kick panel and opened it up.   Fairly complex - no relays, lots of transistors, fully electronic.

Even when pulling a signal from a door pin, the circuit upstream (from the pin) has a diode and eventually terminated as the Fade-Out Relay, and registers a significant resistance. 

Even though my pins are negative triggered, I can't pull a ground from the circuit.

I had a 87 Supra with a fade out relay and I'm pretty sure they're fairly common in Toyotas from 85 - 92.  Anybody know the fix/workaround for this.  I'd call Crimestopper, but it's the weekend and I've been at this since Monday.  Don't laugh.  I must've put in 40 hours so far on this.  I don't know how the hell you guys knock out two or more of these things in one day!

johnbauer 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2005 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

Here is a scan of the light diagram.

1 meg picture

Thanks for any insights!

johnbauer 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2005 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

A added a webpage which explains more about my problem.

Thanks!  Post reply here, I didn't put an email link on that page.

johnbauer 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

Got a fun one here.  Car: 85 Toyota Cressida.  Alarm: Crimestopper 2011 RS IV.

All works perfectly, except door unlock.  Car circuit requires a ground pulse to lock and unlock the doors.  Using diodes (mark to head unit).  Lock works perfectly, 100% of the time.  However, unlock has only worked a couple of times.

I monitored the head unit output with a multimeter and found that there really isn't a "ground", but rather a reduction in voltage, from 12+ volts to about 1.5 volts.  There never really is a continuity with ground.  I've tested this by running a needle through the signal wire 1 inch away from the CPU and have also taken the wire out of the connector and grounded it to check for proper wiring.

Any solution?  Would a voltage DROP from 12 to 1.5 fire a relay?

And I was thinking a ground was a ground...

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
Wow! I am impress, but what exactly is your questions and help you want on the installaion of your alarm?   
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.85 Cressida, Crimestopper 2011RS IV -- posted image.
johnbauer 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

My third post has my problem.  The first two posts relate to issues that have been addressed.

I think the moderator or whoever is making sure this stays in one post.  However, when people see "Cressida" in the title, they don't click. 

My problem is I have an unlock signal issue with a Crimestopper 2011 RS IV.

Thanks,

wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
I've seen this issue several times. If you need a negative trigger to unlock the doors and the output from the alarm is not unlocking the doors all the time, try adding a relay to throw ground to the unlock wire.
Use an SPDT relay and wire as follows:
85 to 12V+
86 to negative unlock output from alarm
30 to ground
87 to negative unlock wire in vehicle
87a not used
BTW, your post was moved to this thread because it relates to the same alarm install in the same vehicle and makes it easier for everyone to follow along (which makes it easier for us to help you) even if you have a new issue with the same install.
~wirewise~
wirewise 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
One other note on unlocking the doors in this vehicle... I don't recall the 85 Cressida having the child lock safety feature, but if the doors unlock everytime you apply a ground to the unlock wire, then you do not have them. Otherwise you will need to apply ground to the child safety wire during unlock as well using two diodes on the unlock output from the relay. See this diagram.
~wirewise~
johnbauer 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks!  Will do that relay work-around.

A general question regarding the problem that spurs the addition of the relaly - is it "normal" for a head unit to DECREASE the voltage and call it a ground signal?!

Secondly, will the output of 1.5 volts (what Crimestopper calls a "negative pulse") energize a coil in a standard 30A relay? 

Lastly, I understand that grouping of disparate threads into install-based threads.  Makes sense.

Thanks again,

wirewise 
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
When you say "head unit", do you mean the alarm? If so, it sounds like you're using an analog meter set to read voltage to measure the output, but it is a momentary negative output and will activate the coil of a relay like I described above.
~wirewise~
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic