icon

Do you guys paint yourselves?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
I do the majority of the paint for the R&D and show vehicles. I started painting with the cheap guns from the Mac tool guy or the hardware store. but have since moved up to better equiptment. I have 5 guns, all used for different things. poly-primer, primer, base(color), clear and touch up. if you are just starting out, the best gun for the money is a Finex gun. they are imported by sharpe and work really well. also Astro makes a good inexpensive gun. I highly recommend having at least 2 guns. primer and base/clear. I use the finex guns for primer and clear. a devilbiss for base, and have older matco guns for touch up and polyprimer. all work great.
as far as paint goes, I found that dupont makes good paint and is easier to learn with as opposed to PPG. PPG can be a little trickier than some of the others. If you dont want to spent a mint on paint, all of the major paint companies have a lower line that will work for you. omni(PPG), nason(dupont), Dimensions(sherwin williams) and so on. There are also a lot of companies that make clears and primers and even chemicals to use with ppg, dupont and SW primers, clears, and colors to save a little bit of money.
painting custom car audio projects are different than painitng cars, I have found painters that wont even touch or will charge extra for some of my projects because of the curves or material/combination of materials used. they just arent familiar with it.
polyester primer is your best friend. use at least a 1.8mm tip(2.0mm recommended) use poly primer as a base layer of primer to fill in sanding scratches and help with that last little bit of leveling ot low spots. use a sealer on top of the poly primer then color then clear.
I can get into more specifics if you want, or give you more details if you need, just lemme know.
Trevor
rabenoja 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

Hey thanks for that info!  I'm sure this will get me in the right direction.  I checked out your webpage and your projects look real good!

Like most others here, I'm a learn by experience kinda guy so, I'm just gonna have to jump in and try to swim! :D 

I'm sure that your tips will help me with my learning curve though...again thanks and I appreciate any more tips that you can think of.

chump 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
I don't mean to discourage you, but a compressor that delivers 14CFM is going to cost you a huge amount of money. Most I've seen deliver around 5CFM and they cost around 500$. I have seen some HVLP guns that require 5CFM @ 90psi. I don't know how good those guns are though.
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
for painting, you are only going to be running the compressor at about 40 PSI so it is easier to achieve the higher CFM in a lower cost compressor. just make sure it is large enough to use sanders/DAs or the other air tools you are going to be using.
chump 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2005 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
I have seen a lot of HVLP paint guns that require about 5CFM @ 40 PSI. This can be achieved with a lower cost compressor. I don't know how they compare to the top of the line paint guns, however it is still HVLP.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic