first sub box pix

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bachsarte 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
Here are some more pics to address the questions
Speaker frame has a nice thick real cork gasket that holds the carbon fiber sub up enough that even at full excursion the rubber surround won't hit the inner ring.
The MDF bracing goes straight down whereas the enclosure wall curves out leaving nearly 1" of unrestricted space at the bottom and about 1/2" up near the speaker ring. I did let the brace touch the back wall fabric, where it can't be seen, in case I wanted to anchor it against the back cab wall.
M&M: I was able to use a cutting disc on a Dremel and just cut down the wall to free the glass and resin. Thankfully only nicked the MDF a couple times so sub should still fit snug.
Bachsarte
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
OnE_DIEU wrote:

Also FG is like a drug, becasue the better you get at it the more you want to do it.   

That and it can get you really high if you don't ventillate, but not the good type, more like the old poisonous chemical high.

anyway, not to get off track cause I know that annoys people, It' looking great so far, it's too bad that they don't make solution to the pits and bubbles associated with FG, so we wouldn't have to spend so much time sanding, but it is always really really fun to actually mold a project like that and watch it take shape right in front of your eyes.

It's still really cool to watch someone else do it.  I love it when people include pics in their posts!

Keep up the great work and please post the finished results, I am anxious to see how this one turns out.  This one is far from MUSTANG, have you had a chance to see that disaster?  I would say that everyone should before attempting their first FG project, just so they know how easy it is to fill your trunk with cement, at least that's what it looks like.

eh? what did you just say?
pewter_dime_99 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2005 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
 hey looks awesome, i want to make a nice FG box for a sub, but i have never worked with glass before, so here is a question.... are you just putting on layers of resin with no fiberglass mat? it seems like the more i see pics, people don't use the mat that much and only put the resin over fleece... is that strong enough for a box? if it is, i know that will help me cut costs of buying mat
bachsarte 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2005 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
first sub box pix - Page 2 -- posted image.
Got the first Bondo coat on and sanded. Looks like I'll need to reform the outside edges of speaker ring.
I put a block of MDF inside the back wall for the terminal cup then forgot to press down the fleece to it when I resined. So cup won't have a nice flat surface to mount to, but I think I can still make it airtight.
'Thumbed' the whole thing and no give anywhere after 3 layers of mat. I think this is because of the curvilinear design which also made belt sanding much easier.
Bachsarte
Xplorer 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
It looked like you used some strong wood glue to keep your sub ring and countersink together. I would recommend putting some bathtub/bathroom sealer (looks like caulking,can be found at Lowes/Home Depot) in between the glass and the cup then push it on tight and bolt it in. If you dont have any just use the wood glue and use alot and then just wipe away any excess that comes out the sides. Great looking install so far, NICE JOB! 
Peace
bachsarte 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
I got my box sanded and the primer coats put on. I intend to have a body shop paint it but I'm going to glass the back wall of the cab and will have it all painted at once.
Sounds very solid, beyond what I was expecting!
Bachsarte
bluetruck 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  
not bad looking at all. i wish my first glass project looked 1/2 that good.
tim828 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
hey bachsarte,  i noticed that when you wrapped it you stapled fleece down onto bottom ring.  did you eventually pull these aout or just cut them off.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
HOw did you make the MDF ring and countersink?
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
HOw did you make the MDF ring and countersink?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic