icon

1996 Ford Contour remote starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bodybuilder 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

This is the exact diagram out of my manual of the remote starting for my alarm. The yellow wire goes straight to this other yellow wire to my alarm.  The white, WHITE/ black, blue/black, green wire are one connector that just clips to another connector from my alarm. Notice there's 3 relays together for the whole starting deal, and one other relay by itself that interrupts my green wire for the engine on, which I think, and others think should interrupt the grey/white starter wire instead. Either way, it looks simple enough, but doesn't do shhh for me. I don't have a spot to put the relay with the blue wire, since I don't have this second a/c, or heater on wire coming from my ingition, I only have the one green wire and other very small wires.

1996 Ford Contour remote starter - Page 4 -- posted image.

Don't have a hero.
Look up to no one;
because if someone's leading the way, the best you'll ever be is second
bodybuilder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
whoops. I meant the thick white wire. not the blue one.
Don't have a hero.
Look up to no one;
ken984 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Ok yes that diagram is incorrect, DO NOT put the kill relay on the green wire, put it on the Grey/white, Also the Blue FROM the starter relay should go to Grey/white.
White FROM the start relays should go to ACC, which is Yellow, to test for this wire, use your meter it should go hot when you turn the key to ACC and should lose power during the cranking cycle.
Black FROM the 3rd relay should go to Green Ignition, along with the white from the alarm brain AND the small blue from the starter kill relay. The small yellow from the starter kill relay should go to a ground when armed output from the brain.
Make sure to tie in the BLACK starter wire AFTER the starter kill, in other words on the starter side not the key side.
I do not see a 2nd ACC relay in this daigram so I am not sure what you are talking about there. It takes a minimum of 3 relays to do the job. The 4th relay is for the starter interupt circuit, and should also prevent you from accidentally grinding the starter should you forget and try to start it with the key after remote starting.
bodybuilder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I was reading through my manual, and I think I figured out what this breaker relay is for and why it intersects  the green wire. It says that my alarm has a robbery feature. where if someone is stealing your car and getting away with it, you hit the robbery button which kills the green wire, which cause the motor to shut off. I don't believe it's a starter kill switch.
Don't have a hero.
Look up to no one;
ken984 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
Well that may be what they say its for, but i seriously suggest you DO NOT hook it to the green wire, if something malfunctions it could kill power to the ignition while you are driving and guess what? No brakes or power steering control. VERY BAD. And the idea that somebody would steal it and still be in range of the remote so you could do that is very suspect. If the brain has a ground when armed output use it to interupt the gray/white like i suggest, that way it will stop MOST criminals from starting the car in the first place. But if you do it their way you are opening yourself up to a lot of trouble.
bodybuilder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
Yah, I think that's for if you're actualling watching someone breaking into your car and you're too much of a weener to confront them, then you can stay hidden and just hit that button as they go to drive away or something and hopefully they'll get out and get lost, whereas myself, I'd just run out there full speed with a baseball bat swinging allover place.
Don't have a hero.
Look up to no one;
ken984 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
LOL I don't recommend that strategy either, they are usually armed and would probably pop a few caps in you before you got your bat in range, and if you did manage to get close enough they would probably sue you(and with the nonsense going on these days win). Park in well lit areas and don't go the wrong part of town.
bodybuilder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Alright. So I finally got back around to this remote starter issue. After looking over your recommended changes, I came to the conclusion that it is the best way to change it around. Since my chances of ever hitting the button to disable my ignition are about the same as winning the lottery, I did change that kill relay to work as my starter kill relay. And I did bring the white wire to my acc on. But, since the changes aren't really a whole lot different than what it was like before, I didn't expect anything different to happen, which I was right. It still doesn't remote start worth a crap. You just hear the ignition come on for about 4 or 5 seconds and then it goes off and that's it. I'm still waiting on my diodes to come in, so I can hook up my negative door triggers. I'm somehow hoping they're the reason it's not working, since they're the only thing left that isn't hooked up. but I doubt it. So if I can't get the remote starter working, I dont' care, aslong as the alarm works, and no dickface can steal my monster sound system, that's fine.
Don't have a hero.
Look up to no one;
ken984 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
If the starter is turning but the car does not start it would have to be the ignition wire not getting the proper voltage. Check the relays and make sure there is voltage on the Ignition relay GREEN wire in the car. That wire provides power for the fuel system and everything necessary to keep the car running.
bodybuilder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2005 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
It won't do a thing with the starter. All it does is send power to my green wire, asif I just turned my key to the "on" position. and stays like that for about 5 seconds or so, and then just goes off. It doesn't even make it to the actual turning over of the motor. I'll play with it later when I my door triggers are all done after I get the diodes.
Don't have a hero.
Look up to no one;
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic