icon

RFX 8240/8250 head units

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2005 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  

I have a couple questions for anyone who has had these unit.

On the 8240, does this one have dual 20-bit DAC, as the 8250 does??

Also, does anyone have any of these units still in stock?? I know its a long shot, but just for grins and giggles, I am interested in getting my hands on one of these units, preferrably the 8250 model. ( If the 8240 has 20-bit DAC, then either will do). We want to do a side by side comparison with a Nakamichi CD700II. Though in logic, CD700II should be superior, we want to see by how much. Depending on the results, I actually would like to use one of these in my personnal vehicle.

Thanks for any responses or help, much appreciated.

Chad7n7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry.....I didn't clarify. I am referring to the Rockford Fosgate units built by Denon.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
A local shop near me has a couple of the Fosgate h.u.'s hanging out on the discount shelf. I will ask them the model, specs, and prices. I got a funny feeling the Fosgates won't stack up to the cd700, but anything is possible.
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

Chad7n7 wrote:
Sorry.....I didn't clarify. I am referring to the Rockford Fosgate units built by Denon.

Wow thats weird I have a 9210 in my closet and after taking it apart it says made by hyundai electronics

--Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
Chad7n7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I really don't think it will either, but its all in fun and games, haven't had a chance to play with one, and now its kind of late, but I would really like to get my hands on one, as we aren't a Fosgate dealer and never really had access to one.

We were a Nakamichi dealer, and have a couple CD700II's for personal use. Just out of curiosity, the conversation came up the other day, as I am installing a new HU in my personal truck, we started comparing specs, and surprisingly enough, the Fosgate units aren't lagging too far behind (on paper).

We used to be a Denon dealer, a couple years back, and know the quality of their units, which brought the comparison. A closer, and better comparison would be to get a DCT-Z1, but thats next to impossible, so I am resorting to the next best thing, the Rockford Fosgate RFX 8240/8250. (Built by Denon)

I am only interested in the RFX 8240/8250. If that shop has them, can you "PM" with some prices?? Also, if they have them, can you find out about the 8240,if possible ( Looking to see if it also has the dual 20-bit DAC's as the 8250 does) I think it does, I think the only difference was the outputs 8240- 2V @ 100 ohms vs 8250- 5V @ 50 ohms, but both units have  8V balanced outputs. Also the 8250 had an aux input, which the 8240 doesn't.

Thanks for the reply.

cdjr 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
This FAQ that was posted when the "Denfords" became available from CarDomain may be helpful.
http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=005725;p=0
It seems that the only difference is that the 8240 does not have an Aux Input.
Chad7n7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
I found that thread while trying to do research on these units. Thanks for the reply though, the effort is appreciated.
cdjr 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks!
I'm interested in seeing the results of you comparison since I have an 8250ti waiting to be installed this summer.
If you haven't already seen this, there is a high end HU "shoot-out" on this UK forum:
http://www.nearfieldaudio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125
And an upcoming "shoot-out":
http://www.nearfieldaudio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210
They were supposed to have the 8250 in the first "shoot-out" but ran out of time to include it.
Chad7n7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  

Cool, well, I have to get my hands on one first, and as far as it looks, its not going too well, I have been searching all over, and all I can come up with is a 8240, thus the questioning of the D/A converters. If they do in fact have the same dual 20-bit, then I am not concerned with the aux. in, or the 5V preouts vs. the 2V of the 8240, due to the fact, I will be using the 8V balanced outs, in the form of Zapco symbalink cables, according to the pin outs, these will work great. This is my concern, I will be using those to help the handicap of the Denon/Rockford Fosgate unit because of the 20-bit D/A, vs. the Nakamichi CD700II, which has 24-bit D/A. We are trying to use the best features of both units to see what may be superior.

I really like the fact of the balanced outs, I have a Zapco preamp, so I can do away with RCA connections all together and be totally balanced....wow. 

Now.....back to research and finding one! Not interested in getting rid of that 8250ti are you cdjr???

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
Contacted the shop today and the models they had left were the 9100 and 9120. Both lacking the 20 bit DAC. They said that the pioneer 8600 has a 24 bit dac in it. Good luck.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic