icon

Latching Relay Source

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreativesailor 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  

The following is a 3 relay circuit which sends constant 12v to a desired load when triggered by a negative pulse. The constant flow will stop when a negative trigger is sent to relay number 3.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kreativesailor/detail?.dir=/374b&.dnm=70c4.jpg&.src=ph

picture was too big to be posted here. Hopefully this would be of good use for anyone who may be looking for something similar. Why buy it when I could build it for less $$$$?

You can try and fail but dont fail to try...
kreativesailor 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, I gave the wrong link. Here is the correct link for the diagram.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kreativesailor/detail?.dir=/374b&.dnm=cd3c.jpg&.src=ph

You can try and fail but dont fail to try...
fatfenders 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  

Hello, I just joined and this is my first post. I am trying to build a latching circuit for the headlights on my street rod ('36 Chevy). I want to be able to switch high/low beams with a simple mom on push button. First I tried 2 different electonic circuits but each had problems I couldn't solve with my limited understanding. So next I found this forum and built the 4 relay design I found here. Couldn't get it to work. Then I tryed John's 3 relay design. All it would do is buzz with the 'button pressed'. I do know that the Seimans latching relay will not work for my application... all the latching relays I have researched require inputs to different pins for latch/unlatch since the coils require specific polarity to latch in the 2 different positions. I would be very happy to use either the 3 or 4 relay design I found here but cannot get them to work. Checked my work again and again. No joy. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I

Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  

me again....

anyone look into the headlight dimmer relay of an older VW as i suggested?....guess not

Mark

fatfenders 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  

Mark,

Like I said, after several (failed) attempts to build this functionality, I gave up and this AM began pursuing the 'VW solution'. BTW, did not know about that until I joined this site). Anyway, the original VW part number is 111-941-583. The aftermarket 'Kirkham Motorsports' part # is DNI 0127. I just ordered one from my local NAPA dealer for 28 bucks.

pin 56 +12v

pin 30 junped to 56

pin S to switch ( Not sure but I think this switchs to ground... if you need to switch to +12v you will need to add a SPST relay)

56a load 1 (low beams)

56b load 2 (high beams)

Latching Relay Source - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Kirkham 427 Manual
Table of Contents

Installing a Headlight Dimmer Relay
Use the button on the turn signal lever to dim the headlights using a VW relay #DNI 0127

The DNI0127 relay is an electrically operated dimmer switch. Using the button on the turn signal switch lever arm, you give the DNI 0127 relay a short jolt of electricity into terminal "S", and it will swap the high/low beams. It's standard on VW's for the years that the turn signal switch came from.

Latching Relay Source - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
dimmer
relay
terminal
wire
56907 blue / YELLOW
56jumper to 30
30jumper to 56
56b908 light green
56a909 tan
Sturn signal switch brown wire
groundturn signal switch brown w/ white stripe

Allegedly, but unverified by KM, this relay is VW Part Number 111-941-583 headlight dimmer relay.

fatfenders 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

UPDATE!

Picked up the relay and it works as advertised. Finally got my toggle!

A coupla notes. The NAPA part  # is AR284. Oddly, the instruction sheet is from a 'Drag Specialties' company and the instruction explain how to install this unit on your motorcycle using the horn button to toggle the headlights (I looked, but could find no instructions on how one is supposed to then honk to horn...)

Anyway, I tested it and found that, for a relay, it is pretty loud when it fires, a resounding 'clunk!'  The coil pins (usually 86 and 87) are 30 and S. They show connecting 30 to +12v and switch S to ground. My application requires switching +12v so I thought, heck, why not switch the +12v at 30 and just connect S to ground. Not. Nothing happens when I did that. Thought for a moment of swapping polarity on 30 and S. Then I had a vision of having to call my NAPA guy (a friend), after the smoke cleared,  and have him humiliate me (again) as I ordered a replacement. I am adding a relay to the switch circuit.

One more thing, while it is a cube relay its a little bigger than the standard automotive type, does not have a traditional mount but does have a curious little clip on the top, the kind you could slip on a small (i.e. #18) wire.

Dave 

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic