icon

Wiring Component Speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
exdox77 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
I want to install three sets of component speakers in the door panels. They are rated 100 watts rms each, would I need to wire the crossover to each speaker or just one? and would I need an amp so that I am not drawing to much power from my head unit? I am going to use one tweater from each side of the car.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
3 sets of component speakers in each door?  Not a good idea.  You're going to end up with all sorts of cancellation and comb filtering effects and it's likely to sound like ARSE.  Your other questions concerning crossover usage and amplifier loading indicates to me that you don't know what you're doing, so I strongly suggest you take your vehicle to a good install shop and pay for some help.
Support the12volt.com
exdox77 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
you know it a learning experience and i would greatly apriciate it if you were to help me instead of insult me. i havnt really worked with components i usually just install subwoofers and amps.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
No insult intended.  Using more than one set of component speakers in the front is a bad idea.  And if you don't understand about using crossovers or amplifiers, then you should seek help from a pro in your area.  It's the same advise I'd give anyone.
Support the12volt.com
exdox77 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
well i am a current student seeking advice for my custom installation, i understand how to use amps in just a little new to crossovers. are you going to help or not DYohn?
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

i agree i have installed a few sets of components and  i would advise if you really want to do it your self get some help and you cant wire 3 sets to your head unit if your head unit is a four channel unit as far as the crossover goes if there is a crossovers with the components they need to be wired correctly if you dont understand it get help what area r you in ?

let me kow if you knoe if your not to far buy chance i will help u Adam

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
DYohn 
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

OK, first of all what is the gear?  What HU?  What component speakers are you planning to use?  What amp will you use with them?  Can you do fabrication like kick panels aor do you plan to use factory locations?  What vehicle?  Is the electrical system stock or upgraded?  Is there a sub in the vehicle?

Support the12volt.com
exdox77 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  

The HU is a panasonic 200 watts and the components are blaupunkt Vc540 at 100 watts im not sure on the amp yet what do you recommend. As far as the fabrication goes the they are fabricated in the door panels two in the front door and one in the back door. Honda Civic 4dr and i do plan on upgrading the electrical system. and no sub yet but there are plans for a sub.

DYohn 
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

Don't worry about the power ratings you have listed, they mean nothing in this case.  If it was me I'd put one set of those Blau's in the front doors and one set in the back doors connected as a standard 4-speaker setup.  If you are saying you have already created custom door panels for the fronts, each designed to carry TWO sets of 5.25" components, I'd suggest you then have the skills to re-make or modify them and change one of the 5.25" opening to a 7" or 8" opening and add a set of dedicated woofers for mid-bass.  Use only one tweeter per door.  I would use the Panasonic head amplifier to drive the comps only as long as I absolutely had to, and would buy a good quality four channel amp for the main sets as soon as I could afford it.  Concerning the crossovers, ALWAYS use the passive crossovers that come with a component set unless you plan to bi-amp and know how to do that.  You cannot connect more than one speaker to each output on a passive crossover.  You should not need to upgrade the electrical system until you begin adding subwoofer and mains amps, and then the current requirements of those amps will determine how large an alternator you will need.  Don't waste your money on caps.

Cheers.

Support the12volt.com
exdox77 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

would 6.5" woofer be ok for the second door speaker?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic