icon

High-end Vehicles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xone 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

Can somebody please explain to me the difference between vehicles like Mercades, lexus, BMW, etc... and normal vehicles as far as replacing head-units go? Ive never worked on highend cars like those before because i've heard you can really damage them, why is that?

shiftmx11 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 5:55 AM / IP Logged  

i hate working highend cars or about anything that is europe.there are a few reson for this. 1. like bmw and mercades (most) have factory amps that have to be bypass most of the time PS you really dont know untill you get the radio out. 2. (most) of the top of the line german cars  dont have a normal dash that has a radio that sides out of the dash. the dash is mold around the radio so no dash kit is normaly made for these dashes.3.wiring digrams and kits hard to come by. the online database we have at work only tells you that brown is ground thats it. 4 if you brake the dash, parts are hard to come by in the states. the germen companys like to hide sreaws everywhere and make dashes out of wood. 5 last and most of all the people who own the car can be a pain to deal with becuase its the BABY. 

soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
couldn't have said it better. the big thing is hunting for all of the screws. the panels are so tight that somtimes you can't tell if it's clipped on or screwed. the best way to work on these things is slowly untill you get to know the cars well enough to know what to expect from each of them.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, there built so whell, and perfectly there hard to take apart and put together.  If you have a cavalier in one bay and a Jetta in another you will definately tell the difference since the cavalier panels, you just touch them and they fall off so an install takes minutes, , the jetta you need to have a high iq of figureing out puzzles to get the car apart since they use extreemly high engineered idea's to put panels in place with as little screws as possible.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  

you just have to go slow and be gentle... thats the key..... i've always worked on and owned Benzs and Bimmers so i dont see the real problem, but i do remember that the mid-eighties Saabs were a S.O.B to work on for some reason.... seems to me all the panels overlapped so that even the sight of a "gaudy" screw was hidden.....

the trick, like i said is to go slow and make sure not to be rammy.... just be gentle......    remember, the part you break may cost more than you are making that month.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
xone wrote:

Can somebody please explain to me the difference between vehicles like Mercades, lexus, BMW, etc... and normal vehicles as far as replacing head-units go? Ive never worked on highend cars like those before because i've heard you can really damage them, why is that?

Very little other than the fact that some will have a challenging factory amp to work with.   The painful experience I have with these car is trying to put in a few RCA patch cord to the head unit without hurting yourself. Lastly, the echo of gentle and slow is no doubt so true when working on these car.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.High-end Vehicles -- posted image.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

The differance is about $40,000.

Big Dave
xone 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
yea, ive taken the radio pannels out of a BMW but it alreday had a hard wired stereo in it. The pannels im prety sure in time ill figure out ive never broken a pannel before (knock on wood) but the thing that gets to me is the actual wirring of the vehicle. Like wirring a new aftermarket radio into one of these vehicles. Ive heard stories about data cables and all that but nobody ever gives me a good explanation about it.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
ask a specific question and i'm sure someone here will be able to give you the answer you seek.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic