icon

Bandpass Box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
matt_attack 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 5:01 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 15" DVC 2ohm Orion H2 and im going to be getting another one. i want to make a fiberglass box for them and i wanted to make a bandpass box, my question is what size does each enclosure need to be? i know for just a sealed box its about 2.25 cu. ft. but with a bandpass box what is it? would i just make two enclosures that are around 2.25 cu. ft. also i wanted it to be ported, how many should i have? i know theyre supposed to be 19" long and 5" in diameter but thats seems a lil too long. any help would be great, thanks
98 Cadillac Deville
Rollin stock 4 now
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
So do you want a ported enclosure or a bandpass?
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
matt_attack 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
cant u have both? cuz the box i have the one in is a Q-logic bandpass box and it has 3 ports.
please be patient im new at car audio stuff but getting better everyday and the only way to get better is asking questions.
98 Cadillac Deville
Rollin stock 4 now
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
A bandpass does have ports but is very different than a ported enclosure. A bandpass usually is a bit louder than other options but does not sound as good. It's also one of the most difficult boxes to design and build. I'm not saying that you shouldn't build one (I just recently started playing with them myself) But you're going to have to study up alot more. This site has a fairly good explaination of the different types of boxes. Look to the left side of the screen, near the top, under car audio, for woofer enclosures.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
matt_attack 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
This is what i was looking for: https://www.the12volt.com/images2/dualbpass3cham.gif So if i make a box like this how many cu. ft. will in need in the middle enclosure. the two enclosures where the subs are have to be at least 2.25 cu. ft. cause thats the recommended
area the Orion site says. thats the only thing i dont get is how much space the middle is supposed to be. i understand that these boxes are hard to design i just want to do everything myself i want to look at it and be able to say i did that also i want to open my own shop someday so i need the practice.
98 Cadillac Deville
Rollin stock 4 now
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
No there's a bit more that you don't understand. This is not a ported box. Forget the mfg. recomendations, they don't apply to this box at all. Download WinISD, punch in your speakers TS parameters, and play around with it some. This is a VERY hard box to get right, be prepared to for a few "do-overs". Even once you get it right, it WILL sound like ass. Again, not saying don't do it, just want you to know beforehand.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
the4biddendonut 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

bandpass boxes sound like ass, don't even dick around with it.

I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. - Jack Handy
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
If you are wanting the SPL, go with the Bandpass or ported, bandpass is "Ghetto" it is getting a bigger thump with less power. So, as oonikfraleyoo said, forget the air space specs from the company, you could see if you could get in touch with their Techs and ask them whatever questions you have and what they recommend. I have had one bandpass box in my life, and I lit it on fire for sounding so bad, lol with the kenwood subs still in it. A bandpass box has ports, but isn't ported if that makes since, ported is a "maze" if you will, ports on a bandpass are just holes. So if you are insistant on doing it, go ahead, but be prepared for a few mess ups. If I am correct I think Audiobahn sales some dual 15 bandpass's with cool neons and mirrors inside. But as with anything in car audio, do your homework, dont just jump into it. Good luck buddy! Make sure you post some pics. Your best bet again is to call the company. As well, isn't your sub a SQ sub?
Duke Duke
matt_attack 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 5:06 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input oonikfraleyoo and DukeDuke. I guess I'll just mess around with it and see what i like best. Thanks again.
98 Cadillac Deville
Rollin stock 4 now
j68rh 
Copper - Posts: 147
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2005 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
A bandpass box only allows a certain frequency of bass response.  if you use a bandpass usually you will only hit the really low end of the bass frequency.  If you are looking for a good tight bass that hits every spectrum of the bass scale use a sealed box and if you have a small enclouser and need the extra airspace then use ported.  My prefrence is sealed boxs.  I think bandpass boxs suck.. think about what band pass means.  its going to pass all bands except the one its tuned for.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic