sub lost half the power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys. I have a little problem.

I'm driving today, and it seemed that my bass went down a bit. I got out, looked at the sub.. and I noticed they were both working. I have 2 JL 15W3v2's. Looking at it more closely, I noticed that the subs both work, but the volume dropped to about half on one of them!. I took out the bad sub, inspected it.. and nothing at all seemed to be wrong with it. To eliminate the wiring in the car, I hooked up my good sub to the wiring of the bad one, and it works fine. So, at least I pinpointed it to the sub, and not the amp, or car.. etc.

What can this be???. I've never heard of a sub still working, but losing half it's power, but mine did. What can this be?. Help!

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
Partially blown, ,chances are it over heated and fryed some of the voice coil.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  

Send it in for warranty work because it's probobly partially blown like said above. ^^

Do you know how to set the gain on your amp properly? If not then do a search on this site to learn how to set them properly to keep your amp from clipping, and possibly blowing your subs.

nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

wow I never knew a sub can be partially blown.

How would it be partially blown if i'm only sending about 400 watts to it?.

stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

not enough power can wreck a sub just as easily as to much power, with less power a person is more willing to turn things up higher  and running things beyond where they should be and in turn creating more distortion.

someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong sub lost half the power -- posted image.

Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
stang351w wrote:

not enough power can wreck a sub just as easily as to much power, with less power a person is more willing to turn things up higher  and running things beyond where they should be and in turn creating more distortion.

someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong sub lost half the power -- posted image.

I think your correct, but.. when I say 400, I mean RMS. I turn up my gains when i'm at shows and stuff, but I never had a problem like this before. Never. And I got these last year too.

nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
stang351w wrote:

I think your correct, but.. when I say 400, I mean RMS. I turn up my gains when i'm at shows and stuff, but I never had a problem like this before. Never. And I got these last year too.

Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
stang wrote:
not enough power can wreck a sub just as easily as to much power, with less power a person is more willing to turn things up higher and running things beyond where they should be and in turn creating more distortion.
someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
Ok, I'll correct you.
Distortion does NOT kill subs, power does. Adire audio proved this awhile ago. They took like a 200w amp and hooked it up to one of their subs, don't remember which one but IIRC it could handle over 1kw RMS,, and they got the amp to clip. It sounded like complete ass, but the driver was unharmed.
That proves that distortion doesn't kill, power does.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  

I think you are wrong, Poormanq45. But I'll let someone who is a little more knowledgable than me explain why (considering that I think I am right, which may or may not be true sub lost half the power -- posted image.)

nyguy4u, set the gains properly, as this sounds like what your problem is. You should never have to fool with the gains if you have them set correctly and your subs will should be fine after that.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

Amps are like engines, sure they go past redline, but nothing good comes of it. Where is DYohn with the answer......

nyguy, Have you checked the connection and/or impedence of both voice coils on the sub in question?

04 MDX - Clarion DRZ9255 / MB Quart QAA4250 / MB Quart QSD216 / Orion Concept 97.2 / JL Audio 10w6v2
91 GMC Syclone - Delco tape deck
90 Syclone powered 2wd S10 (for sale) - Pyle CD / Fosgate 4x6
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic