sub lost half the power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
04MDX4SQ wrote:

Amps are like engines, sure they go past redline, but nothing good comes of it. Where is DYohn with the answer......

nyguy, Have you checked the connection and/or impedence of both voice coils on the sub in question?

thanks for the reply guys.

Yep, checked everything. I took it to my shop where I bought it. These subs are D4's. So, even though my amp isn't 2 ohn stable, he told me to wire it in 2 ohms, turn the gain down on my amp a good amount, and use my Audio Control Matrix to adjust the gain. I did that, and the other speakers sounded great.. but the one in question still didn't sound good.

So, I took it back to him, and said.. nope.. still doesn't work. So, he said maybe one of the voice coils seized, and he is gonna send it out being I bought it less then a year, and he said more then likely JL will just send another. So, we'll see. He's the manager there, and he's a really cool guy. He always helps me out. He installed a Viper alarm/starter for me, and didn't even charge for labor back in the day.

I'm not too knowledgable with all this stuff, so let me ask you guys a question. Originally, I had a wire go from the +, to the -, on the other side of the speaker. And, the + of the amp to the remaining + on the sub, and the same for the -. He said I should do it differently. He said to wire it in 2ohn, so he told me to take 2 short wires.. and on the speaker, run the - to the -, and the + to the +, and take the + and - from the amp, and run them to the + and the - on the sub. I think he said it's called a parralell set up?. Again, these are D4's, and my amp is not 2 ohn stable when bridged. He said that's ok, just turn the gain down on the amp, use the matrix for gain controls, and it will sound alot better. Does that sound right?.

Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
ah, sounds like you're cheating your amp....
unless you are NOT bridging your amp...
one of the VC's is probally fried..
-Drew
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
Paradigm wrote:

I think you are wrong, Poormanq45. But I'll let someone who is a little more knowledgable than me explain why (considering that I think I am right, which may or may not be true sub lost half the power - Page 2 -- posted image.)

nyguy4u, set the gains properly, as this sounds like what your problem is. You should never have to fool with the gains if you have them set correctly and your subs will should be fine after that.

Distortion dosn't kill speakers until you feed around the RMS rateing of the sub distortion.  Its a good combination of the 2 that kills a sub/speaker.  Iv been able to run 2400 wrms through an alpine type-r daily for about 4 months without problems, just don't play it over 20 min or heat problems will occur melting the vc.

Your speakers life is in the hands of the man with his fingers on the volume control knob.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic