icon

Richmat quality?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonchos 
Copper - Posts: 256
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
has anyone heard of richmat? I want to do my trunk and I was wondering wich is the cheapest I can get that would do the job right. dynamat is expensive. Any suggestions?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Weel, it is CLAIMED to be as good as Dynamat... Anybody can claim anything they want... Is it as good? It seems as though they offer a warranty on performance, so give it a shot!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
A bit of subject but I just got some undercoating spray (it says it is used to sound deaden as well) $2.68 per spray can from WalMart (can is bigger than Dynamat and weighs more by hand feel).  The Dynamat spray is $25 at Tweeter (online may 10+ 5 to ship).  I'm thinking this product from WalMart has to be close to 90% or more as effective as the Dynamat or smilar product but without the price markup.  I'm doing to door panles tonite (1 can for each) and if it works well I'll keep using it.
(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
jonchos 
Copper - Posts: 256
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Please let me know how it works. I would go and buy some can right away if it works for you. Let me know how thick it is when applied. Thank you
us_test 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
It is thick.  One coat is 75% the thickness of a regular folded paper knapkin.  At first I did not shake the can so it was coming out like paint (then I read the DIRECTIONS) and shook the can for 1 minute.  It came out textured and thick.  1 can can do 4+ coats on a door panel.  It dries pretty well in about 45 minutes.  I can definetley tell you it works.  I was driving today and normally cars pass you by and you can hear them (faintly), now they pass by and nothing is heard, this is also in 98 camry which is kind of quiet to begin with anyways.  Get this, you won't be dissapointed.  I'm getting more for the trunk.  WalMart $2.68 a can.
us_test 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
Wanted to add that the total thickness with 4 coats was the same as 3 or 4 double folded paper knapkins.
nguyenk 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
What is the name of the product?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
McMaster-Carr has an asphalt-based sound damper sheet, 36 sq. ft. for about $42.  If you're interested I'll post how to find it, as it is a PITA on my part.  Oh, here we go, a search through the forum was the easiest way:  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=33610&KW=McMaster%2DCarr
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
So I have a question for anyone who has used these products...
Is is better to just use the spray stuff for everything like the trunk or does the sheeting like Dynamat and B-Quiet work better for the trunk and flat spaces.
I would think the undercoating would be easier to apply, but does it make a mess where you don't want to touch it?
I am at the point that I really want to start doing this sound deadening thing in my trunk before I put my finished boxes in, and I would like to have the easiest, but still the best prduct.
P.S. ~ I would rather sacrifice ease for a better working product anyday, but a little of both worlds would be nice.
Anyone have any opinions on the subject?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
I just got some of this
It works really good and is easy to work with. It doesn't smell bad either. And I only paid like $118 for 100sq.ft. shipped. Thats 2 rolls, each 18" x 33'. Enough to do 3 coats in most spots.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic