icon

Trying to pick a system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Hikari 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, i've been wanting to swap out the speakers in my car for a long time now.  I have a 1998 Honda Prelude Base model, and when swapping out the rear deck I became all to aware of how terrible the stock system is.  There's something inherently wrong with a cardboard tweeter.  At any rate, i've fooled around with the idea for a while, but due to money issues, and my life long philosophy on doing things right the first time, i've never proceeded.  Now I'm at a point where I can afford good equipment and do it correctly.  I'm not trying to win any shows or even be showy to my friends, just want some quality sound.  But being fairly new to all of this, i'm not really sure where to start as far as shopping goes.  I would like to do a one brand install.  I think it's cleaner.  Although i've toyed with the idea of a Nakamichi HU and amps with another brands speakers.  I listen to a lot of heavy metal and rock, but also like a good pop song once in a while.  So I need a pretty versatile system.  What are some good brands to look into.  Probably looking to spend about 1500 on speakers and amps.  I need 6.5s and 6x9s.  What are some good companies, i've looked at JBL, JL, Infinity, and MB Quart.  I've also been pointed in the direction of Environmental Design, but haven't really gotten any decent independent reviews on any of these companies.  I guess my question is, which companies do you favor and why.  I like a crisp clean sound.
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

if you want to go all one brand. i can think of a few things . alpine, eclipse,soundstream,and rockford fosgate. those are all brands that you could do a single brand install

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
i favor all these brands because of the quality of the products
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
Fosgate doesn't make head units any more.
The first thing to do is go and demo equipment, and begin to narrow some front stage speakers out first.
Invest more money into your front stage, and head unit. These two are very crucial.
It is difficult to match brands throughout, and you will have far more options by varying up the brands.
jussam 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
Trying to pick a system -- posted image.

alpine system

CD Receivers
CDA-9835 1 In-Dash CD Player/Ai-Changer Controller
Type-S Front Speakers
SPS-171A 1 6-1/2" Type-S Component 2-Way Speaker Set
Type-S - Rear Speakers
SPS-690A 1 6" x 9" Type-S Coaxial 3-Way Speaker
Type-R Subwoofers
SWR-1541D 2 15" Type-R Series Subwoofer (4ohm + 4ohm)
1 Channel (Mono) Amplifer
MRD-M301 1 V12 AccuClass-D™ Mono Amplifier
4 Channel Amplifier
MRV-F340 1 4/3/2 Channel Power Amplifier

2-alpine amp mrv-f545 4ch amp
polk audio 6 1/2 frontdoor w/alpine center speaker
polk audio 6 1/2 rear w/8"polk sub
2-12" alpine X type sub
2-alpine mdr-1005 amps
Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

fosgate dosn' t make head unit anymore. dwarren is right once again . i agree the headunit and front stage speakers are what you hear and see the most ,and the quality of your head unit effects your entire system . i think demoing gear is much better than reading reviews

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

Steal this for a start to power your front components.  You won't go wrong with USacoustics amps.

Other notes:  if you're front components are going into the doors, use a lot of sound damping such as Dynamat or Raamat on both the outer skin and the door panel.  The high sub bass/ low mid bass sounds are crucial with rock music.  For your sub, use one sub suited for use in a sealed enclosure, a 12".  Power the sub with a separate mono amp.  If you're using rear fill speakers, too...buy two of those USacoustics amps.

(I'm always looking for closeouts on those amps.)

Oh, and this:  you might have plenty of money right now, but if you start buying without doing some good shopping that money will be gone fast.  Save out the necessary amount for the sound damping...that is critical.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Hikari 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input guys, if it makes it any easier, I wasn't looking to use subs (too heavy for my application) and I don't need a HU (already have that picked out) i'm just looking for 6.5s, 6x9s and amps to power them.
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
Not needing the head unit to match opens up a ton of possibilities to keep everything else besides the deck matching. Most companies that make aftermarket speakers make amplifiers as well.
I run an Alpine deck and almost all (soon to be all) Diamond Audio amps and speakers myself, I am sure there are plenty of others out there that like to have all the same brand stuff if possible as well.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  

For components you can look at Hifonics Atlas (the ones I have).  They are comparable to any $300+ components out there (JL, Alpine well they cost a bit less, etc.).  Got them for $95 (can't go wrong with the Hifonics).

Cheap Sound deadening (YOU WILL NEED THIS):

Walmart Undercaoting spray.

It is thick.  One coat is 75% the thickness of a regular folded paper knapkin (per coat).  At first I did not shake the can so it was coming out like paint (then I read the DIRECTIONS) and shook the can for 1 minute.  It came out textured and thick.  1 can can do 4+ coats on a door panel.  It dries pretty well in about 45 minutes.  I can definetley tell you it works.  I was driving today and normally cars pass you by and you can hear them (faintly), now they pass by and nothing is heard, this is also in 98 camry which is kind of quiet to begin with anyways.  Get this, you won't be dissapointed.  I'm getting more for the trunk.  WalMart $2.68 a can.

(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic