icon

Multiple Lights To Sound Controller

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mikerosoft 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 3:34 AM / IP Logged  
I am looking to set up a Sunbeam Lightbus controller, to work all of the lights I plan to put in my car.  This controller will work out perfectly, as it is specifically designed to have 4 channels which is how I have my light sectors divided up.  My problem is, that I want to hook up more lights than the controller is designed for.  I have used their Sound Control Module before and blew it because I was trying to put to many lights to a single output.  I know that through relays I could get my project to work, but I was wondering if there were a more quiet way.  It the controller was on strobe, there would be a lot of clicking.  I have heard of a set up using transistors, but I am not too sure how it works.  I am looking for the most simple and most cost effective way to get this done.  The other question I have is regarding the fade options.  If the output from the control unit is going through a relay, will it still fade properly? 
Also, on a side note.  I am looking for some sort of adjustable strobe unit I can use to hook up to the HDD option of this controller.  Basically, all I need it something that gives an, on-off-on singal continuously and that is adjustable.  I would rather something ready-made than having to put it together myself as I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff.  I may even have some trouble with diagrams given in response, so please be patient with me.
Any advice or comments you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
-Mike
Theshadow27 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

i am trying to do the same thing. you need a MOSFET transistor. you can get them from radio shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5fid=276-2072

one of thos can source 3 amps (with a heat sink), which should be enugh to drive 12 duel bulb CCFL inverters. i believe that it is the negitive output of the sunbeam that is switched - so if you hooked it directly to the gate of the MOSFET then the output would be inverterd. instead, you may need a small PNP transistor to invert the polarity before it gets to the MOSFET. in either case, the output will remain analouge (i dont think the sound activated part is analouge though) where as with a relay, it would be either on or off.

i dont understand what you meen by HDD option. care to explain?

Theshadow27 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

went to the website - it comes with an adustable strobe... ST1 and ST2

Mikerosoft 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Theshadow27 wrote:

i am trying to do the same thing. you need a MOSFET transistor. you can get them from radio shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5fid=276-2072

one of thos can source 3 amps (with a heat sink), which should be enugh to drive 12 duel bulb CCFL inverters. i believe that it is the negitive output of the sunbeam that is switched - so if you hooked it directly to the gate of the MOSFET then the output would be inverterd. instead, you may need a small PNP transistor to invert the polarity before it gets to the MOSFET. in either case, the output will remain analouge (i dont think the sound activated part is analouge though) where as with a relay, it would be either on or off.

i dont understand what you meen by HDD option. care to explain?

I think you are right about it being the negative output that is switched.  If you could let me know (send a link) for the small PNP transistor that would be great.  As I said, I am a total newbie when it comes to this stuff.  The most detailed and simplified instructions would be greatly appreciated.  I am not too sure what you mean by analouge output.  Are you saying that the fading will still function properly with transistors, but not with a relay?

What I was planning to do with the HDD option was to hook it to a seperate controller that could send out variable on-off pulses.  It is my understanding that that is what the HDD does.  It is a 12 volt pulse, on when the HD is being used and off when it is not.  This way I could adjust the strobing speed independently.  The controller does have a strobe function as you mentioned, but it doesn;t work on single channels.  It strobes through every channel, and I wanted the ability to stobe one individually while having another stead on, lets say.  I hope that makes some sense.  Thank you for all your help thus far.

-Mike
Theshadow27 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  

yeah analouge means that it varys continously, while digital can only be on or off. pulsing digital can look like a diffrent brightness, and this is called PWM

transistor is http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5fid=276-2023

the HDD on a computer responds to activity, it does not strobe randomly. each read/write flashes the light for a fraction of a second, so when you are reading/writing a lot of data, the light looks like it is blinking fast, but when there is low activity, it turns off or blinks occasionaly. i guess you could wire up a flasher to activate this input, but it seems like a roundabout way of doing things when there is already an osclator on the module.

Mikerosoft 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Theshadow27 wrote:

yeah analouge means that it varys continously, while digital can only be on or off. pulsing digital can look like a diffrent brightness, and this is called PWM

transistor is http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5fid=276-2023

the HDD on a computer responds to activity, it does not strobe randomly. each read/write flashes the light for a fraction of a second, so when you are reading/writing a lot of data, the light looks like it is blinking fast, but when there is low activity, it turns off or blinks occasionaly. i guess you could wire up a flasher to activate this input, but it seems like a roundabout way of doing things when there is already an osclator on the module.

Okay, so I understand the analogue thing now.  It seems you understand what I am trying to do here.  The one thing I noticed, is that the second link you sent me can only handle 600mA... if I am reading this correctly.  Will that still work?

I don't understand the last bit of your explaination.  The only reason why I wanted to add on a strobing option to each channel, is otherwise the HDD selection will be useless.  That and I would like to have the ability to change the strobe speeds and have one channel strobe while the other remains constant or is going to the music or something.  Who knows if I will ever end up using it that way, but I would like to be able to.  Do you know of anything I could purchase and plug in that would work in a smiliar 12V application?

-Mike
Theshadow27 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

the MOSFET still does the heavy lifting - the bipolor transistor just inverts the signal going to it, so it's current rating doesnt matter - the MOSFET will not draw any current (theoreticly) and in reality will draw less then .1ma

for the HDD thing, i think i understand. youll want (if you can make it to a radio shack) a flashing LED http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F006%5F002%5F000&product%5fid=276%2D036 and a 1k ohm pot. hook +12v to the LED thrugh the POT to control flashrate, then the - of the LED into the HDD input. easy enugh?

Mikerosoft 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
Theshadow27 wrote:

the MOSFET still does the heavy lifting - the bipolor transistor just inverts the signal going to it, so it's current rating doesnt matter - the MOSFET will not draw any current (theoreticly) and in reality will draw less then .1ma

for the HDD thing, i think i understand. youll want (if you can make it to a radio shack) a flashing LED http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F006%5F002%5F000&product%5fid=276%2D036 and a 1k ohm pot. hook +12v to the LED thrugh the POT to control flashrate, then the - of the LED into the HDD input. easy enugh?

I can make it to a radioshack.  I actually have a couple really near by that I will go check out 2morow.  I am not too sure what the purpose of the flashing LED is... what makes it different than other normal LEDs?  And again... you are going to have to help me out with the POT.  What is it exactly... and what does it do?  (Again if you could send me a link it would be much appreciated.)  That way I can just go to the shack with the part numbers of everything I need.  I would imagine that I am going to need three of everything as far as the MOSFET and bipolor transistor go. 

Thanks again for everything!

-Mike
Theshadow27 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  

the point of a flashing LED is that... well.. it flashes! there is a built in flasher that turns it on and off. it also acts like a voltage switch, when the LED is on there is + voltage across it, and when it is off there is an open circut. normal LEDs just light up constantly when you aply power. 

the POT varies the voltage that the flashing led flashes at, which changes its rate of flash. here is one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F011%5F000&product%5fid=271%2D342

Mikerosoft 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
Theshadow27 wrote:

the point of a flashing LED is that... well.. it flashes! there is a built in flasher that turns it on and off. it also acts like a voltage switch, when the LED is on there is + voltage across it, and when it is off there is an open circut. normal LEDs just light up constantly when you aply power. 

the POT varies the voltage that the flashing led flashes at, which changes its rate of flash. here is one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F011%5F000&product%5fid=271%2D342

Haha!  Alright.  Thats what I was thinking, but I didn't want to assume.  Thank you very much for all of your help.  One last question I had though... am I going to have to use any resistors in here?  and what kind do I need?  Or would I be able to ask the guys at radioshack?
-Mike
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic