icon

Mobile Dynamics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
exdox77 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2005 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
thats good, i think  when i made out my loan i think i took out more than i needed so that i had spending money for food and what not. but thats cool that you can work on your own car while your up there.
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
Honestly. What good is getting MECP certified if you can't even put a simple cd player in. You'll make money to GO to your mobile dynamics if you just enter a store that is willing to teach you basics before you go. Let mobile dynamics prepare you for the next level of installation..  let someone PAY you to learn the beginning.  even with no experience. your bb/cc type places pay upwards of  about 10$ an hour. which is more than most people wanting to enter the installation world start out at bagging groceries or whatever they do first.  and i've turned down a few new hires who went to these schools based on the fact i needed an experienced installer. someone who could do in and out jobs. not someone with a certificate who's still wet behind the ears. you'd still start out as an entry level installer trainee @ 10$ an hour or so. and the mecp basic would allow you an extra 75c an hour =) sounds almost worth the thousands you'll spend going to school =) eh?
Sflavoredice 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
I attended the first four weeks of Mobile Dynamics Az.  and found that I Iearned what goes into making systems that appear in magazines. I would advocate anyone interested in this career field to go through some formal training(if they can afford it). A guy in my class, reminded me of Jack Black, worked at BB and they were reimbursing his training there. A couple of the instructors in Phx. helped to write the MECP exam and they are extremely generous with their time and patience. Now not wanting to sound like a mouthpiece for these guys I will relate to you why school trained installers are safer. When I bought my 96 4runner( in 96) I took it to BB to get a cd changer installed. Well the installer a guy no more than 22 or 23 gave me the brief about what he will do and how long it will take yada yada yada. No problem right, well a few years later while I was replacing my head unit I saw the horror that I was driving my family around in, a potential fire trap. This kid had simply skinned the power and ground wires from the wiring harness attached the changer and wrapped it with a "small" piece of electrical tape, which since it was close to the fire wall worked itself free. Luckily no sparks, he also installed the changer under the passenger seat by screwing through my vehicle's undercarriage. No silicone or sealant/antirust agent applied to the screws which are located in the spot most affected by rainwater and road scum. He did all of this unsupervised and with a cordless phone attached to his ear and obviously talking to the fairer sex judging by his conversation. MD taught me install, safety and etiquette when it comes to handling customers and their vehicles. Work smarter not harder is my motto and they give you the basics of what you need to become proficient but only experience will get you that proficiencyand you should never gain knowledge at the expense of a customer's "pride and joy".
bazzgazm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
I Find this kind of humorous. people bash retail installers and say "how horrible" their work is. Granted. your one experience wasn't that great. but the guy is no different than what you would find in a custom shop. Some people are good. Some people suck. PERIOD. Know your installer. And as for the school I'm going to vote with what was said earlier, get some training first. if you decide you want to build show quality and winning cars. hit mobile dynamics, or RITOP. Or whatever you choose. best buy has a few VERY Good installers. If you read up in the db drags you'll see a few of them. Same with circuit, TWeeters, and whatever national chain you have around you. granted. even the shop is only as good as it's worst installer....... know who is working on your car... peace.
bazzgazm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  
I Find this kind of humorous. people bash retail installers and say "how horrible" their work is. Granted. your one experience wasn't that great. but the guy is no different than what you would find in a custom shop. Some people are good. Some people suck. PERIOD. Know your installer. And as for the school I'm going to vote with what was said earlier, get some training first. if you decide you want to build show quality and winning cars. hit mobile dynamics, or RITOP. Or whatever you choose. best buy has a few VERY Good installers. If you read up in the db drags you'll see a few of them. Same with circuit, TWeeters, and whatever national chain you have around you. granted. even the shop is only as good as it's worst installer....... know who is working on your car... peace.
Sflavoredice 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

I did not say anything negative about BB just told of an experience with one individual and not a negative word in the post.  I agree know who is working on your car but will the average consumer even know what to ask? Probably not bottom line do with your future that which will benefit you and your customer.

skitty4fingers 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
im enrolled for the 8 week program in phoenix/tempe starting Aug 29th looking forward to it. i went out and talked to a few box shops and custom shops and they all said they would give me a chance with this shool on my resume.
if anyone else is planning on attending this session let me know
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
bazzgazm wrote:
Honestly. What good is getting MECP certified if you can't even put a simple cd player in. You'll make money to GO to your mobile dynamics if you just enter a store that is willing to teach you basics before you go. Let mobile dynamics prepare you for the next level of installation..  let someone PAY you to learn the beginning.  even with no experience. your bb/cc type places pay upwards of  about 10$ an hour. which is more than most people wanting to enter the installation world start out at bagging groceries or whatever they do first.  and i've turned down a few new hires who went to these schools based on the fact i needed an experienced installer. someone who could do in and out jobs. not someone with a certificate who's still wet behind the ears. you'd still start out as an entry level installer trainee @ 10$ an hour or so. and the mecp basic would allow you an extra 75c an hour =) sounds almost worth the thousands you'll spend going to school =) eh?
I whole heartedly agree. As with ASE certification for automotive work. I think for any tests to be valid the testee should already be working in the industry. In my book NOTHING replaces real world experiance. BB and CC have corporate standards when it comes to installations. This provides a better base of knowledge than any school will make you think they can give. But anyhow good luck to you school attendees.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Sflavoredice wrote:
I attended the first four weeks of Mobile Dynamics Az.  and found that I Iearned what goes into making systems that appear in magazines. I would advocate anyone interested in this career field to go through some formal training(if they can afford it). A guy in my class, reminded me of Jack Black, worked at BB and they were reimbursing his training there. A couple of the instructors in Phx. helped to write the MECP exam and they are extremely generous with their time and patience. Now not wanting to sound like a mouthpiece for these guys I will relate to you why school trained installers are safer. When I bought my 96 4runner( in 96) I took it to BB to get a cd changer installed. Well the installer a guy no more than 22 or 23 gave me the brief about what he will do and how long it will take yada yada yada. No problem right, well a few years later while I was replacing my head unit I saw the horror that I was driving my family around in, a potential fire trap. This kid had simply skinned the power and ground wires from the wiring harness attached the changer and wrapped it with a "small" piece of electrical tape, which since it was close to the fire wall worked itself free. Luckily no sparks, he also installed the changer under the passenger seat by screwing through my vehicle's undercarriage. No silicone or sealant/antirust agent applied to the screws which are located in the spot most affected by rainwater and road scum. He did all of this unsupervised and with a cordless phone attached to his ear and obviously talking to the fairer sex judging by his conversation. MD taught me install, safety and etiquette when it comes to handling customers and their vehicles. Work smarter not harder is my motto and they give you the basics of what you need to become proficient but only experience will get you that proficiencyand you should never gain knowledge at the expense of a customer's "pride and joy".
LOL This is an example of a non-installer judging a pro. Granted the install may not have been the prettiest. But give me a call when your boss has the time to supervise your changer installation and help you wiggle under the car to weather seal a screw. In the real world, either your gonna install by the seat of your pants with only your experiance as your guide; or your gonna be the joke of the shop known as "The Riddler" because your always asking the dumbest quesitons.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
I keep seeing "experience experience" I've been trying to get in to a store/shop locally for nearing a year now, and I still can't get in. I have no experience, yet I can't really gain much experience. Sometimes it takes school to even get in the door. I've got minimal experience with a little more to come, and it slowly increases over time, but at this rate I will be WAY behind the curve when I get in the door.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic