Mobile Dynamics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
Master Asylum wrote:
I keep seeing "experience experience" I've been trying to get in to a store/shop locally for nearing a year now, and I still can't get in. I have no experience, yet I can't really gain much experience. Sometimes it takes school to even get in the door. I've got minimal experience with a little more to come, and it slowly increases over time, but at this rate I will be WAY behind the curve when I get in the door.
Bro sometimes people just don't need installers. Where have you been applying? And maybe there is something else keepin you from being hired. Who knows bro. But like anything else ya gots ta keep trying and maybe you should look to the next city for work too. I live in southern ca and I had a job where I drove 2 hours to work 1 direction. Pay your dues, be the biotch and one day you will find yourself at the top!
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
I'm spanning from Dayton OH to Cincy OH trying to find a spot. I'm not even TRYING the customs because the box stores won't even hire me without experience. That's like 1 hour north and south drive, nothing. One place I'm hoping will let me apprentice just to get some viable experience. And even when they are needing people, I keep losing to "experience". If I get a job before I go to school doing audio, I'll be amazed. I've applied at BB, CC, HHGregg, nothing. Kinda getting frustrated.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
exdox77 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

just replying back to my orginal post im glad there is a lot of people out there that have a lot to say about the mobile installers. As you know or dont know I have currently attending Mobile Dynamics in Toronto. Now I know that there is a lot of hipe about school and stuff, but i am telling you that the people are that are here are the most friendliest people i have met. Each instructor in willing to work with you one on one to help you get along and pass the course. I will be here for 8 weeks and so far i have learned a lot from this school. Even though the first week was boring, i even knew half this stuff but i did pick up and few tips on the way. I will be posting new post weekly as the course goes on, let me know if you guys need any further info about this school or any question. i will help you!

mcdonald2000 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Well I hate to beat a dead horse, but I gotta throw in my 2 cents.  I actually attended Mobile Dynamics  back in 1996. I learned a very good amount of knowledge about working in the 12 volt industry.  I passed all exams, and I got M.E.C.P certified while I was there. I had no previous experience (in shop) before I attended the school. After I got out I thought that I was going to be hired right away, I was as wrong as possible. Back then installers used to make really good money, and you would always find a shop full of guys with 7 or 8 years of experience, and nobody wanted to take time to train a new guy. I spent the next two months trying to find a job, and I got a break finally and got my foot in the door. I started out making $5.25/hour. I stuck to it and learned as much as I could from the install lead, four years later I was making $21/hour. I guess I would have to say that I really enjoyed going to Mobile Dynamics, and the stuff I learned was extremely valuable. Just be prepared to have a tough time getting your first job without experience.
1 ohm
exdox77 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
well back in 1996 there wasnt a big demand for 12volt installers like there is today. this industry will continue to grow and grow as technology evolves. More and more systems are becoming more complicated with new circuits being created my car companies and so on. As sat. radio continues to grow and the audio/video merge into the car, along the navigation and onstar, in becoming a very critical issue about have 12volt tech around, not just audio/video systems for car. everything to do with the car involve 12volts, engine management, ecu, and also audio/video. but keep in mind we are in need for 12volt installers.
exdox77 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Well im an in week four now, this week we learned about relays, security systems, remote starters and advance security. It was very interesting i installed a remote started on my own car and it was very simply and easy to do. i would of had it done alot quicker if i didnt have to check in with the instructors every time i wanted to do something. this was just purly safety issues because they didnt want you to blow up anything. At the end of the week im going to be taking the MECP test on saturday, im really excited about taking the exam. ill post another reply after the test this weekend that explains somethings on the test.
exdox77 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2005 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

Hello guys,

Well today I took the Basic Installer MECP Bronze Exam. All I have to tell you guys that are looking forward taking this exam is that if you study and take those practice exams you should do fine. If you can look into a school like Mobile Dynamics, they really helped people take the test. They didn't help them on taking the test but asisted people if they had questions about wording and they did tutoring for people that needed it. I'm not trying to dis Ritop or Installer Insitute but Mobile Dynamics helps you recieve your MECP Bronze, even if you are slow at learning or if you dont quite get the material. They will sit you down one on one and make sure you understand it all.

Anyways back to the exam, this exam consist of many parts relative to the material found in the Study Guide. You have Installtion Techniqe and Tools, Autosound, Navigation, Wireless, and a few others in there. Overall if you have studied or paid attention in class you should be able to pass realtivly easily. My goal was to acheive a 100% but I will be happy with a 90% or above, if I get a below a 90% I will be disapointed. Because when we took a practice I did very well, and the real test was really much different. Thats another thing about schools they will give you a practice test before the real one, at least Mobile Dyanmics did!

if you have any questions feel free to PM me and please post replies about you MECP test experiencies!

dstang24 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged  
I just graduated MD in Phoenix/Tempe in late July.  Passed all tests with over 90%.  The only experience i had was with friends' vehicles and my own.  After I graduated I had about 6 legitimate job offers (within the first month), not to mention the multiple calls a day i would receive from shops that couldn't offer what i wanted.  I had already accepted a job at CCity the week before I graduated, but after the first month I had found a new job, which I just started this week making $17.50/hr.  The school taught me how to and how not to go about installing.  I have the know how, all that I need to be an excellent installer is the experience only time will give.  At that CCity I went through a simple training course for a day and then I was in the shop working just days after my graduation.  I was on my own by the third day doing basic deck installs, had my first alarm on a brand new 05 Titan after my first 6 days.  Eventhough I left that job so soon after starting, the manager wants me back to help temorarily during the after X-mas installation peak.  I admit I have a long ways to go, but I am planning on taking the gold level MECP certification exam in 3 or 4 years (when I have my EE degree from ASU). 
exdox77 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
well im glad for all your replies even after the hurricane katrina. well im down to the last two weeks of my course and i am maintaing above an 80% average and i tested a 96% on my MECP Bronze level exame. the directed of admissions is helping me find a job at best buy or ccity, but i dont really want to work at those places but will for awhile if need be. i am looking into purchasing a business down south and starting one in my home town or something to that affect. I am also taking the phase x course soon and it will a two day all hands on course that will be very benefitcial for down of custom projects. I am kind of excited about this course. The class that just came in has two girls and tons of new guys, there about 35-40 people in that class, this is huge.
but thanks for the replies and please help out the12volt this is very good place to get tons of information about 12 volt circuits.
exdox77 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
well im glad for all your replies even after the hurricane katrina. well im down to the last two weeks of my course and i am maintaing above an 80% average and i tested a 96% on my MECP Bronze level exame. the directed of admissions is helping me find a job at best buy or ccity, but i dont really want to work at those places but will for awhile if need be. i am looking into purchasing a business down south and starting one in my home town or something to that affect. I am also taking the phase x course soon and it will a two day all hands on course that will be very benefitcial for down of custom projects. I am kind of excited about this course. The class that just came in has two girls and tons of new guys, there about 35-40 people in that class, this is huge.
but thanks for the replies and please help out the12volt this is very good place to get tons of information about 12 volt circuits.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic