icon

amp channels?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jmeese 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Question regarding matching speakers and the # of channels of an amp.   Just replaced head unit in 2002 liberty with Kenwood KDC-Mp828.  Has front and rear speaker wires coming out of the unit.  I have 6 speakers currently.  I'm assuming the front is running the dashboard and the front doors and the rear is running the rear.  When I hook an amp can I get away with a two channel one channel running the fronts and one running the rears?

Also since I am going to be using a component speaker system will this method send to much power to the tweeter and blow them?

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
First off you will need a four channel amp to run four speakers. Secondly a passive cross over is mor than likely in place in the front between the tweeter and mid-bass driver. The x-over will require one input from the amp then   has two outputs for the two speakers. There will obviously be two x-overs, one per side.
The x-overs will "protect" the tweeters from playing frequencies that wil harm it, but you still can blow any speaky with improperly set gains.
These are factory speakers?
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

Currently factory speakers with Kenwood KPC MP828.  I'm going to replace the 2 in the dash and 2 in the front door with a component set.  However the speaker wire coming from the deck only has front and rear (two wires labeled for each).  Do they have the 2 speakers in the dash and the 2 in the front door running off of the front (two wires from head unit).  I'm not sure how I have 6 speakers running off of this with only a front and rear cables.  I'm looking for a little louder sound.  Would just upgrading to compont speakers with a higher rms wattage accomplish that?  Or would I need an additional amplifier?

I was thinking of adding either an amp for the speakers or a amplified subwoofer.  Plus trying to go on the cheap and  install myself.  I installed the head unit without any problems.  But just starting to investigate the installation of the amp or sub.    Also can I use the existing speaker wire if I install an amp.  I'm assuming that I can use it if I just replace the oem equipment with new speakers.  Although I have not taken the dash and doors apart yet to see how they have wired.

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a re-wire is in order by the way you are describing it. You say there are only two sets of speaker wires in the dash? A + -, and another + -, one for front and one for the rear? Take a nine volt battery and pop the speakers to see what is what. You may have a factory amp.
Of course you would benefit from using an amp aside from deck power, but you don't have to. (I strongly recommend an amp though, buying a good set of comps then cheating them with lousy power is nonsensical).
Do this in phases if necessary, do your interior speakers with an amp then do a sub upgrade later.
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

I will pull the deck out and verify but I only remember a front and rear both had two wires +,-. 

What do I do with the two speakers in the rear doors?

Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I did verify.  I have four speaker hook ups (2 wires each + and -)  front left, front right, rear left, rear right.  So if I have 6 speakers working from this output from the deck then obviously I must have two speakers running off of each of the front.

so I will hook the componets to the fronts but what do you recommend for the back?  Replace with a different speaker or leave as is?  If replace what type of speaker?  Can I put two 6 1/2 subs in the doors if I'm adding an amp?

dwarren 
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Yes there is probably a x-over in line of the mid and tweeter in the car, but that will be replaced if you upgrade to another set components.
as far as the back speakers go, just fit a coaxial speaker that is the same size, keep it simple.
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
what do you think of cerwin vega and bostin acustics for component sets?
dwarren 
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
how do they sound to YOU.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic