icon

Sub inverting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
j68rh 
Copper - Posts: 147
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
I am not really sure of the answer, But I was just wondering why some people mount there subs inverted with the magnet out instead of in the box.  what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing that?
trojan 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
I know most of the time it is to show off the magnet assembly. I would also like to know the goods and bads of this and does this take away from hittin DB's? And if so how much in general 1-3db per sub?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
Most will agree that the only good is showing your chrome flames and there really isn't a bad. Some say to adjust to the enclosure accordingly (your adding air space by removing the speaker) others say it's too little of a change to make any difference, if its a sealed box I wouldn't worry about it at all. If one or more speakers is inverted and one or more not inverted then you should also adjust phase accordingly.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

Inverted subs are not used in SQ systems.  So, that leaves SPL.  Therefore, the negative effect on db levels must be very slight, if it exists at all.

If someone were building a system for pure enjoyment of audio...and never mind wanting crowds gawking at the display in their trunk...they would never consider inverting subs.  But to answer the question more directly , one might invert subs to make better use of available space...besides the obvious and more common reason of showing off the sub's hind end.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

Inverted subs are not used in SQ systems.  So, that leaves SPL.  Therefore, the negative effect on db levels must be very slight, if it exists at all.

If someone were building a system for pure enjoyment of audio...and never mind wanting crowds gawking at the display in their trunk...they would never consider inverting subs.  But to answer the question more directly , one might invert subs to make better use of available space...besides the obvious and more common reason of showing off the sub's hind end.

Exactly. There are NO disadvantages to inverting your subs. But it really could be helpful space wise for subs with larger displacement when room is needed.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
j68rh 
Copper - Posts: 147
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
Inverted subs are not used in SQ systems.
Why not? There is no reaon why a properly designed woofer in a properly designed enclosure will sound ANY different than inverted than it would "regular"... the output will be identical either way, so if you design a SQ system it'll be SQ...
I think you generalize too much! Sub inverting -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

I wondered who was going to call me on it.  Did I need to wonder?  Sub inverting -- posted image.

To repeat my daughter's oft-said teenage line:  "But I'm just sayin' ! ..."

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

I wondered who was going to call me on it.  Did I need to wonder?  Sub inverting -- posted image.

To repeat my daughter's oft-said teenage line:  "But I'm just sayin' ! ..."

He just beat me to it.   I run my sub inverted because of  space issues.

Also keep in mind that running it inverted provides you with a free grill. Sub inverting -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Steven: What do you mean you have space issues? Inverting the sub would end up taking up more space then buuiling the box slightly larger.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic