icon

trunk rattles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nowlater123 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

I recently bought and installed two 12" Kenwood W3005's powered by a Kenwood 7201 amp.

When I turned them on and kicked up the bass, my trunk began to rattle so loud it could be heard inside the interior.

What should I do about it, without going to Dynamat(too expensive)?

Kenwood all the Way!
spootydlux4 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
check out the fitment of your hinges and the latch and make sure everything is snugged up. also check your weatherstripping, you could have an old car which might be dryrotted . also dynamat!
blah blah blah blah
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
u can also use caulking or expanding foam in the trunk lid...the supports are just tack welded on and cause about 70% of the noise, I've only done 2 vehicles this way without dynamat or anything else and it made quite a difference.
nowlater123 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  

I've got a 92 Plymouth Acclaim, so it is fairly old, I think ill try the foam and see if that helps.

Kenwood all the Way!
adambeazley 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2005 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you need to get some kind of sound deadener. Dynamat is a brand you will hear quite frequently, and it is a great brand but its pretty expensive. you can try this stuff instead its 3 times less:
http://www.dhcsupplies.com/buildingpapers/bt20.htm
Same basic ingrediants however the ProtectoWrap is only 20mills thick and dynamat is about 45mills. But you can double up on the protectowrap.
crzycreations 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2005 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Has anybody used that "Fatman" stuff, it looks like it might be another alternative because it's a good amount cheaper than dynamat, but I've never really heard from anybody that has used it.
-Don't buy it, Build it-
j68rh 
Copper - Posts: 147
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2005 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
go to eaudiodesigns and they have sound deadening material cheaper then dynamate and better.  I purchased 60 sqft for 83 dollars plus shipping
phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

weld ur trunk shut, and fabricate it to be solid, also i will help keep people from poppin it open

would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
Wildcardwes 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
Is there any ways to stop the rattle... Very cheap?? such as things i could find around the house?.. i have a 77 impala and i have my subs in the trunk.. i get better bass with the subs in the trunk then the back seat but sounds worste on the outside..
Wildcardwes
us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
I think the license plate and frame can cause a good amount of rattle.  Make a cardboard cutout and place it behind the license plate or frame (like a sandwich).  I've had good luck with the undercoating spray (WalMart $2.67 or $3.67 depending on the WalMart from my experience, tall red spray can with blue and white text on it, in the auto section or next to car audio).  I've used the undercoating for my doors (made a big difference).  Experiment with truck bed liner spray (this may cost a bit more) and maybe even expanding insulation foam from Home depot (the when the expandign foam dries spray it with the undercoating spray).
(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic