icon

Car Insurance

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BChillin83 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

what car insurance does everyone have? do they provide a discount for a passive alarm?

i have progressive and im about to renew my policy next month but they dont offer a discount for my passive alarm in virginia. i would like to find out which ones do.

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
I have State Farm. They give a discount off of comprehensive for a passive alarm, but don't know if they do so in Virginia.
Car Insurance -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
pretty much all of them do. they dont look just them them, i dont think it that much more less. but i can be worng on that.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

If there's a discount, it's only a couple bucks a month or so - not really more important than the other terms of a policy.  If you really want a discount, tie your home & auto insurance together.  This means you'll have to buy some property & stop pouring all your money into car electronics.  Maybe I should stop that too...Or just get married - much lower rates that way.

Here's my belief about auto insurance.  They know you're going to price shop a new policy, so they lowball you for the first 6 months, maybe even losing money doing it.  The following renewals will all have a slight increase (assuming no change in driving record or claims, or a few other factors like marraige).  The increase is designed to be just enough to sting, but not enough to make you want to find a new provider.  After 3+ years, they've more than made up any loss and will continue to up premiums until you get ticked off enough to change providers - it's gravy for them at that point.

So in theory, if you change providers every "term," you'll get the best deal.  Is it worth it?  That's up to you.

Here's an interesting stat for you - only $.10 of every dollar paid in premiums goes to claims.  Not a bad biz...

supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
I have State Farm. I have looked around several times over the years and nobody comes close to their prices in SC. And they give discounts for alarms. I have had to file a claim a couple of times over the past 10 years and they came through with no hassle. 
'85 Toy
xaudiopipex 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
i have meemic through my parents and im not sure if they do or not, ive told my dad quite a few times to call about it but he hasnt called yet
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
I was paying $200 a month for just my own single vehicle insurance at the beginning of the year through Progressive. I am now married and own a home and have all my insurance together and we pay $175 for our 1845 Sq ft. house, both vehicles, one of which being my 2003 truck and the other my wife's 2005 Equinox through a small local company in my area. Owning a home + Marriage makes a huge difference.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
I have state farm, I only pay $100 a month, pretty good for a 18 yr old!
dc60531 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2005 at 4:00 AM / IP Logged  
Hands down in my opinion State Farm is the best company to go through. Any claim you make they pay almost insantly. I'm 23 with a 98 s10 and was paying $51 a month. Got unlucky got a dui (blew a .09) and my insurance went up $12 to $63. I have been with them since I was 16 so that could me a lot too.
AccentShow 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2005 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
I'm in Ohio and use a company by the name of Westfield. They don't offer an Alarm discount, as many insurance companies have stopped offering that discount. I made 3 claims 2 within 13 days of each other(over $1000 each claim) and didn't get any kind of increase. I was paying 140 a month for full coverage with 250/500 deductibles. I've added another car to the policy and pay $117 for my 01 Accent and a 99 Blazer.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic