icon

Common car audio myths

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SoLowdItHurtz 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
I've found that in car audio, theres a whole lot more misinformation than factual information.  I've had to teach myself about every hard lesson there is but I learn quick and have a good soilid understanding of the stuff at age 21.  For those of you who think you've tried everything to keep those lights from dimming, you might wanna try this, look at the ground strap that runs to your car body, if it's the dinky stock peice of 10 gauge forget it it probably couldn't handle aftermarket headlights, replace that sucker with a good piece of 4 or 8 gauge.  Alot of peole lack logic when it comes to these things.
Do it once, Do it right, always double check free advice
ih8tktz 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2002 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

Heres one...who knows the Bazooka and Kicker line of products???  who is Bazooka and well kicker used to be a good company.  Since when did a triangle or square sub have higher potential than a round one?  I have 10" Alpine Type Rs that will out perform them!

beerstud136 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2002 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

oooooooooh no. you didn't. ever heard of a 15" Kicker L7, look it up.

10" Kicker Comp VR's could probably out do Type R's, sorry, just my opinion, a few of my friends have 12" Type S's, and yea, i respect them, but personaly i think kicker would run thier show.

ih8tktz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2002 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

Actually a few buddies of mine are heavy into MTX and Kicker gear yeah they sound good but its also in what they are run off.  A lot of guys dont run their gear to full potential, before I got my 15" type R I BD'syncd both of my BD 1000.1 (on paper each amp was certified at 1152 watts, dont know how close that is) amps and the sound from two 10" was huge, rattled my exhaust off 3 times and my car is brand new.  Do you remember the 32" clarion THUNDERDOME, well I used to run one of those in a 91 Jetta GTX, it was only for looks because it sounded like sh*t.  Alpine's Type S subs suck so no loss here.

ih8tktz 

ih8tktz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2002 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

I dont know how many people here have kids, but I have a 10 month old little boy, and everyone said you have to get rid of the car stereo now noise isnt good for the baby..  well screw that he loves loud music more than I do. 

shawngdl 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
after hearing all these #s on pyramid amps , does anyone want to trade a few mmatts amps for some pyramid gold stuff i dont think my amos have enough power
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2002 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
hmmmmmm       mmatts for pyramid   let me think about that one,   probably not.      the pyamid gold stuf is decent if you get it at cost,    but the mmatts are insane
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2002 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

Many chain-stores have crappy installers and shops, and some of the supervisors and managers think they know everything but they don't know jack.  BUT not all are this way.  It all depends on the particular shop, not on what company owns it.  And also, as was pointed out by several others in this post, even the most experienced installers have their bad days and make mistakes.

I don't think it has a whole lot to do with age necessarily, unless you directly associate older installers with more experience.   I guess that's a fair generalization, but at the same time it must be said that there are plenty of very good installers who are under 25.  I would say that someone just being older in and of itself does not mean they are necessarily less prone to making errors or screwing things up than someone ten years younger.

Oh and for people who say that the chain stores like Best Buy and Circuit City don't have "real" install shops because we don't make boxes and do heavy custom stuff, that's really not a fair statement  I agree, many of the shops as I said suck and don't know how to do any custom work, but there are plenty good ones that know how to, but it's frowned on by the companies.  This is because warranties have to be valid at all store locations, and to do so means a customer has to be able to take their vehicle to any store/shop location and get their stuff checked out if something is messed up, and the unfortunate reality is that not all locations are equipped--or have the knowledge--to work with these custom jobs.  The company's solution therefore is to only do work that all shops are supposed to be able to handle.   Rules can obviously be bent depending on the circumstances, but that's generally the way things work.The obvious side effect is that many very talented and experienced installers have much of their expertise and skills largely wasted on radio and speaker installs.   

That's just my two sense, and yes I do work at Best Buy but we have some very good installers who can do it all--can't say the same for most of the other chain shops (including some of the other Best Buys) around here though... sorry I guess I got a lil off the post topicCommon car audio myths - Page 3 -- posted image.

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic