icon

2003 Jeep Wrangler Door Lock Wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jhgraham 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have a good method to attach the door lock wires leading from the doors to the main body? I don’t like taping them to the door strap. I purchased a set of door locks, 5 wires, and bench tested the locks and interface and everything works just as required. Now all I need is to find a method that looks professional and I will install them. I don’t mind spending a few coins for parts. Any ideas?
Oh yes, it is a 2003 Jeep Wrangler.
joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
i take it the vehicle has no wiring going through the door allready, if it doesnt can you not make a hole in the door and get some rubber sleve cover as what would be in other cars and just run it in that
jhgraham 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I have no problem punching a hole in the door however there is only 3/8 inch between the door and the door jam. I have 5 inches of wire to contend with. Any tubing with wires in it will protrude into the cabin. It would be nice to have a wire boot as other cars but as far as I know no Wrangler comes with any power to the doors. Or do they? I am hoping there are additional methods someone will share.
Fullthrottle 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
Since you have a wrangler and you probably would like to remove the doors at some point a thru-wire job is out of the question.
I have done this before on many jeeps (Im a Jeep man - own 2 CJ's and a XJ!): you use Jamb Tac wireless connectors: one goes in the door - the other the door jamb. When the door is shut, they make electrical contact and your door locks and windows work. If you need to take the door off, no problems as you have no wiring between the door and the jamb to think about. Your wiring stays hidden behind any trim panels.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  
I've used the same type of connector to add power locks to a van with a sliding side door which you cant run any wires to. Look here
jhgraham 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 4:58 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, the switches are nice and look professional, good Idea. I have a five wire set of door locks. Does anyone know if I can remove three wires on each motor and have the locks operated by the alarm but still retain the Key and Manual lock modes? I don’t need the micro switch function but it is nice.
jhgraham 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks..I went back and bench tested for functionality and found I only need the green and blue wire for operating the door locks as I wish. Manual and Key work as I requested. Looks like I will install the locks. Any cautions in mounting the door locks? (Location)
I have a schematic drawing that I cannot seem to post but if I figure out how to do it I will post it for your documentation.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, if you only use the green and blue wires, the actuators will work fine from the alarm system. The black, brown and white wires are bacically a lock switch built in to the actuator. It senses the position of the doorlock and triggers the rest of the actuators accordingly. If you are strictly using these actuators for keyless entry with your alarm, then you will have no problems only using the blue and green wires. This diagram is the correct way to wire up the actuators. 71E_actuatorrevpol.gif
jhgraham 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have a mechanical drawing for any of these switches. I need the width dimension as I only have 7/8 inch to work with. I dont want to buy one just to find out it will not fit. The part is at:
http://www.thebettersource.com/servlet/cdeploy?cname=1425771425&cat=1001&subcat=1008&template=item_detail.jsp&prod=1052&dw=1
Fullthrottle 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
jhgraham wrote:
Does anyone have a mechanical drawing for any of these switches. I need the width dimension as I only have 7/8 inch to work with. I dont want to buy one just to find out it will not fit. The part is at:
http://www.thebettersource.com/servlet/cdeploy?cname=1425771425&cat=1001&subcat=1008&template=item_detail.jsp&prod=1052&dw=1
Looking at them and comparing a fe wpictures of them I would say they are less then an 1" in width. Still trying to find the mechanical drawing. I remember seeing it somewhere.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic