the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Eclipse Aluminum TS Parameters?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
BTW, anybody want to buy an Eclipse SW9122? Seriously, I am thinking of selling mine in favor of something a little more efficient... Maybe a pair of custom woofers (like so custom there are only FOUR in the WORLD) from my Harman engineer friend... this, and it's gonna FORCE me to install those TWO Altomobile UCSPro's I have in my garage, and FINISH this be-atch!
Grumblegrumblegrumble1600dollarsworthofEQsittinginmygarageforayearandahalf...dammit....
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
Quality comes at a price.
Huh. Yea. It cost Fujitsu $500 of my stereo dollars.
Poormanq45, stevdart, and Hamfist:
This is riduclous. Can this *really* be right? According to WinISD it would take about 25000 watts to get 2x12 Eclipse Aluminums to match the output that 2x12 Kappa Perfects would have getting 800. That is, with the Eclipses' in a 2.75/cft vented enclosure and the Kappa's in a 2.2 sealed.
*I can technically explain this to myself but the answer just doesn't seem right in my own head.*
Are they *really* that ineffiecent? I mean.. how would *anyone* buy it? Like hamfist say... 4, 5... 30 horsepower to get those woofers to play? Huh?
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:
stevdart wrote:
Quality comes at a price.
Huh. Yea. It cost Fujitsu $500 of my stereo dollars.
Poormanq45, stevdart, and Hamfist:
This is riduclous. Can this *really* be right? According to WinISD it would take about 25000 watts to get 2x12 Eclipse Aluminums to match the output that 2x12 Kappa Perfects would have getting 800. That is, with the Eclipses' in a 2.75/cft vented enclosure and the Kappa's in a 2.2 sealed.
*I can technically explain this to myself but the answer just doesn't seem right in my own head.*
Are they *really* that ineffiecent? I mean.. how would *anyone* buy it? Like hamfist say... 4, 5... 30 horsepower to get those woofers to play? Huh?
Yep... they REALLY are that inefficient. I like them (to quote an earlier post) "cause excursion is sexy", but I also like the look just for me. I Thought it was a little weird when we Klippeled these drivers and came up with the efficiency numbers we did. It is kinda sad that Eclipse builds such cool stuff, then misleads the consumer with such inflated efficiency numbers... A four horsepower woofer...   sweeeet. LOL
(I cannot say this trend occurs across the Eclipse line-up, I can only speak to the Ti series of woofers...)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
[quote=ham]Yep... they REALLY are that inefficient. I like them (to quote an earlier post) "cause excursion is sexy", but I also like the look just for me. I Thought it was a little weird when we Klippeled these drivers and came up with the efficiency numbers we did. It is kinda sad that Eclipse builds such cool stuff, then misleads the consumer with such inflated efficiency numbers... A four horsepower woofer...   sweeeet. LOL [/quote
Unfortunately, for this I MUST equate eclipse to audiobahn.
I just don't understand the point of even offering such an inefficient driver.
rirolarma 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  

Was thinking to go with a SW7124 aluminium serie sub. Hope their efficency is little better as I plan to use it in a sealed enclosure with a audison LR600.5

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Rirolarma:
That is the exact sub we are talking about. That thing modeled in WinISD hits all of 110 dB.. and that is for a *pair* seeing 800 watts ... 79.5dB@1w/1m... no wonder Eclipse doesn't publish that spec!
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, take a gander at what Infinity has to offer. Good SQ with a descent amount of SPL and fairly cheap(~$100)
rirolarma 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Is there anybody here with SW7124 actually installed in is car? If so I would like to get is comment. I was also looking at Infinity Kappa serie of sub, but no dealer in my area
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
rirolarma:
There have got to be a dozen ppl on this board with Infinity Kappa Perfect stuff either in their cars now, or had Kappa stuff at one point... I don't believe I've ever seen a negative comment about that gear on here..
You really ought start and stop at Sounddomain.com for Infinity stuff.
http://www.cardomain.com/shopbrand/Infinity
I wish I could point ya somewhere for the Eclipse gear.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic