icon

Eclipse Aluminum TS Parameters?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
My W6 is dying. Good riddance. I couldn't justify replacing it but it is starting to make that "my voice coil is just beginning to give out" BIZZZIT on lower bass-notes. Ick. That thing really was a piece of crap.
I've seen you pushing Aluminum stuff before (actually, that got my attention in the first place, so cheers Eclipse Aluminum TS Parameters? - Page 2 -- posted image.) and I'm looking for a pair of 12's that will at least match the Kappa Perfect in SQ, and certainly blow away the W6 in output. That really shouldn't be to hard... So just looking at the Aluminum, it looks like it would fit the bill nicely. 450watts/rms with a 34mm excursion would have to ridiculously linear and LOUD...?
Just looking at the structure of the sub, it looks superior to the Kappa eh? I don't even think the W6's excursion is that high either.
How would it stand up to the W6 in SQ ya think? My sense of Eclipse (i've never owned/installed/used anything from them) is that they are a higher end brand...   The w6 certainly lacked punch but it was ... velvety in detail subtleties that I've never noticed so low in the spectrum would be brought to an excellent reproduction.. It was a good taste I just want a bigger spoon ya know?
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
hehe, enjoy great sound is all I can say. Eclipse Aluminum TS Parameters? - Page 2 -- posted image. There is a crapload of engineering locked up in that eclipse sub... and it is all worth it.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
Whoa. Lotsa sales guys told me the same thing about the w6 eh?
Eclipse Aluminum TS Parameters? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Forbidden I just modeled that thing it looks freakin beautiful.
With a 2.5cft vented box and 2x3" ports tuned to 25 hrtz that thing looks like it would freakin play. What a pretty little hump.
A few questions about the TS parameters:
What units is the sd parameter in?
Do you have the Pe parameter?
Do you have the SPL/1w1m?
Thanks again man.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

1 watt spl =79.3

2.83v spl = 79.5

no pe rating given, same with the sd

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden:
Two questions:
1)Isn't 2.83v spl mean 1watt @8ohms or 2watts to a car speaker? I mean.. what i mean is why isn't the 2.83v rating 3db lower than the 1watt rating?
2)Whoa 79.5 db thats .. well... okay WinISD has a pair of those putting out all of 110db MAX seeing 800-watts. Needless to say that isn't even as loud as my 13w6.. what gives? Would 2x12" Aluminums really be that quiet?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
The numbers you are getting are anechoic. There will be considerable cabin gain - don't forget that. Depending on your car, there will be different gain curves, but EVERY car will have a gain curve.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Okay.. then both curves being anechoic, 2x12 Aluminums would *still* be quieter than the single w6? WinISD puts the w6 @ 116 db and the *pair* of 12's @ 110dB.. so in the same car I can still count on the Aluminums not even meeting the meager bar set by the w6?
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
ham fist wrote:
The numbers you are getting are anechoic. There will be considerable cabin gain - don't forget that. Depending on your car, there will be different gain curves, but EVERY car will have a gain curve.
Correct, but that is still HORRIBLE! 800w for 110dB. Damn that's pathetic. If I were the cheif engineer behind the design of that motor assembly i'd be embarrassedEclipse Aluminum TS Parameters? - Page 2 -- posted image.
sedate wrote:
1)Isn't 2.83v spl mean 1watt @8ohms or 2watts to a car speaker? I mean.. what i mean is why isn't the 2.83v rating 3db lower than the 1watt rating?
2.83v is the rating for an 8ohm speaker. So take the sensitivity of a speaker and subtract 3dB for every doubling of ohms and that'd be the equivolent efficiency of the higher ohm driver.
MEaning 95dB at 4ohms is equivolent to 92dB at 8ohms
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

poorman wrote:
If I were the cheif engineer behind the design of that motor assembly i'd be embarrassedEclipse Aluminum TS Parameters? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Quality often comes at a price. 

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
and how good is said quality?
Is the quality so good that you're willing to sacrifice basically all of your lowend response?
Hell, I only have two pairs of Infinity Kappa 6x9s installed on my Bose amps in the Q45 and the response averages a 115dB maximum. Note that these are only a ~$60 pair of speakers, and they sound great.
also, what is so special about the eclipse sub to warrant the horrid efficiency?
IMO the top two design concerns should be THD and efficiency, then comes low end extension.
It seems that eclipse focused a little bit too much on the THD factor and not enough on the other two
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic