icon

Dual Voice Coils

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Tegpilot 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I have a kappa 10 dvq, I previously had a topic about running this sub in paralled or series. that question was answered because i have a Alpine MRV-F357 running and it is only 4ohm stable and this sub is running 4 ohms each coil.  The suggestions were that I get a 4 ohm single coil, or 2 ohm dual sub with makes sense, but my question is what does dual voice really do for me and why not just get a single.  Obviously my Amp, although a very good one, and a bit pricy in its day 2 years ago for an average system, only puts out a small amount of power in it's fifth channel.  Anyway, can I run wattage to only one coil on a dual sub, or is that a stupid question?  thanks guys
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
Actually you CAN run only one of the voice coils if you'd like to. It will sound just fine.
Tegpilot 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
If i only run one coil. will i then get 4ohms at the sub and 4ohms at the AMP?  if so will I get full power out of the amp?  150RMS and 300Max?  Just as if I were using a single voice coil sub??
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
yep
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
From the JL Audio DVC tutorials:
A common misconception with regard to dual voice coil speakers is the assumption that nothing changes if you power only one of the voice coils. With only one coil hooked up, a dual voice coil speaker will suffer a loss in reference efficiency of about 3dB (only half the coil windings are being energized) as well as a significant shift in its Thiele/Small parameters. This renders any enclosure calculations inaccurate unless you remeasure the speakers parameters with only one coil hooked up. Failure to account for the different parameters of a dual voice coil speaker with only one coil powered can result in very poor performance.
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/dvc/howWired.html
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
nope. THat's inaccurate. The lowered efficieny comes from the lowered power input, normally half what would be used if the VCs were wired in parallel.
As for the thiele small parameters changing. Nope. We've had this dicussion many times. There's no difference between the SVC and DVC varient.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
You can do that.  Each of the coils is rated at 200 watts continuous, so the power issue if fine.  You may have to do some experimenting with the enclosure for best sound, so using your current box you could try filling with polyfil...or the reverse measure, glueing a solid block of wood into it...if you have to adjust the box volume.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  
poormanq45 wrote:
Nope. We've had this dicussion many times. There's no difference between the SVC and DVC varient.
We did have this discussion like yesterday. *Slight* variances disregarded, I would imagine the differences between them would suddenly become rather pronouced when half the woofer is turned off.
Which i, would imagine, is why stevdart says..
stevdart wrote:
You may have to do some experimenting with the enclosure for best sound
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
why argue, have you ever hooked up a dual voice coil sub with just the singlew coil and then the second coil, there is a difference. i think you haveDual Voice Coils -- posted image.
6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
of course there's a difference. YOu're probably doubling the power when you hook up the second coil
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic