the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Problems, 2 12 RF subs and Punch 300s amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2002 ram 1500. I have a box with 2 12" RF punch (P1) subs. I am also using a RF Punch 300s amp. These subs are rated for 300 watts peak and 150 watts RMS. They are both 4 ohm SVC subs. I have the amp bridged and the subs are wired for a 2 ohm load. They sound like S**T. The amp lasts about 15minutes because it overheats and shuts down. The subs have that bottoming out sound as well (CLIPPING??). What is the problem? The amp is rated for 75x2 @ 4ohms or 150x2 at 2 ohms. I am unsure what it is bridged but I know when I use the 75x2 @ 4oms setup it sucks as well What is going on? Is the amp the wrong one or not powerfull enough? Are the subs just that bad? Is it wired wrong? I am a wiz with remote starters and alarms but I do not know the physics behind this stuff. This is why I look to yo guys for help.

Thanks...

MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

The first problem I see is you state you have the amp bridged and the subs wired for a 2 ohm load, well the 300s cannot support a bridge load of 2ohms, only 4 ohms or higher, thats the main reason its sounding like crap and overheating

So to fix this you need to wire your subs in series to get a 8 ohm load like the diagram below

Problems, 2 12 RF subs and Punch 300s amp - Last Post -- posted image.

Now you can connect it to the bridged channel and then you need to properly set you gains, please take a look at this thread http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=030419 on how to properly set your gains.

After you do all this and it still sounds bad come back and well trouble shoot it some more
Later
--Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
jaurora 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you.

I forgot to mention I also tried it that way as well and it just doesent seem like that is the way 2 12" subs are suppoed to sound. It doese have that umph! Mabey because it is in the inside of a truck? Do yo think that the 300S is unshooting the subs?

Jeremy
skoldspuppy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

Well The P1's are rated at 150 RMS and the amp can only give them 75RMS at that 8 ohm load, it should still move them , but a better choice would be a Fosgate 301M which will watch the the RMS rating as it is a mono amp stable at 2 ohms

Another thing is your box, is it sealed or ported and how many cubic feet is it?
Rockford recommends 1.25 cubic feet for a sealed box and 1.75 cubic feet for a ported box tuned to 37Hz
if your box is to small it will really adversily effect the performance of the subs
Let us know

--Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
jaurora 
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

Thats the reason!! I looked up the box specs. The box is a sealed box with duel chambers and each chamber is .57 cubic feet. That must be the problem. Hey I am open for options now. I guess I should of done my research first. Now I am out $180, no one to blame but myself. What would you reccomend?

Thanks.

Jeremy
skoldspuppy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

Getting a bigger box is what I would do first, one that has what Rockford recommends for air space per chamber, but since we are talking about a pickup truck it may be hard to build one or find one, I never owned a Pickup so I wouldnt know where to begin

Or option 2 is look for some subs that work in .57 cubic feet of air space and sell the fosgates

After that Im out of suggestions for now

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
jaurora 
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for all of your help. I cant seem to find a 12" sub that would work in this limited ammount of space. Suggestions? This box is a custom fit box. As you know these pickup trucks are hard enough to put speakers in. I need to go with the different sub option first. Any reccomndations are helpfull.
Jeremy
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
Why not go with just one 12? You should be able to build a box to meet the specs.
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
or 2-3 10"s... Never underestimate the power of a single sub set up or even 2 10's... i'm installing 4 8"s tommorow in a dodge diesel truck!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic