icon

plastic pillar texture

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
i am soon going to be painting all the plastic panels in my car, they are all textured.  I was curious to know if u can use a high build primer to fill in the texture to make the pieces smooth.  i know u can sand them, but i want to avoid sanding the panels. 
would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
actually to get them smooth, u do use high build primer.  u can sand a bit before hand to reduce the # of coats, but i did some trim pieces and didnt sand the trim before hand and it ended up using 4-5 coats sanding in between with 220.  u should clean the pieces before u start painting with T.S.P or any cleaner that is safe for painting.
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
Just beware abooot sanding though...too much sanding can generate a mild form of heat from the friction and you will basically "melt" and disfigure some of your interior panels...never happened to me on my doors but I have had a couple of friends who tried it with A-pillars and B-pillars and it looked like shhh. You can probably get a good sand in though by taking it easy and throwing a couple of smoke breaks in there between sands.
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
what I like to do is sand about 1/4 of the texture away with 100 grit paper then spray on SEM flexable primer. Use 3-5 coats to hide all the texture then sand smooth. Please be sure to use a good flexable primer, if you don't your layers will chip off. This is what happend to my dash. I was hit head on by a drunk driver and this put everything in my car to the ultimate test(also my body). The parts I decided to coat with a top quality ppg primer chipped to hell, everything covered with cheap flexable primer was fine.
phatx96xaccord 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
is there any particular flexible primer u recommend, also can it be purchases at walmart, meijer or any of those.  like to try to find some in aerosol.        i plan on using the krylon fusion paint, i ran some tests samples, it has held up good so far.  is the flex primer still needed  or can i shoot it with a high build, and maybe a sealer then put some fusion on it.
abovestock 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
F#@K Wall-mart. Go to your local body shop supply or shop on-line for S.E.M. Flexable primer. This is the only thing that can be used. Balls-Mart won't carry anything near the quality you want.
phatx96xaccord 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-13811118617756/sem-39683---aer.html 

http://www.detailandstripes.com/flpr.html

do u recommend these products?

abovestock 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
The one from http://www.detailandstripes.com/flpr.html is the exact product you need to do the job right.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  
I used Krylon Fusion, and well. Take piece off, clean properly, evenly coat, dry, reinsert. The ONLY issue I have had is some minor rubbing off that is taken care of with a quick swipe of cleaning product and it has been fine since.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
One_Dieu 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
Where can you find Krylon Fusion paint?  Is it easy to use?  I ask this because I have have never painted and I have about 4 large FG pieces I'm currently working on right now.  Two of them are ready for paint.    Also where can I find a good HB primer in a can? 
Respect the Blood Line
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic